Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying to put a rear end together - can someone explan the difference between a spool and a standard posi-traction unit? when someone states a spool are the talking about a locker? thanks...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Posi traction puts power to both wheels but also allows the rear wheels to turn at different speeds (To go around corners for example).
A spool is just a splined tube with a flange to bolt the ring gear to. Both wheels turn at the same speed ALL THE TIME. So when you turn the inside rear wheel tends to spin and the outside rear wheel tends to skid.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
A posi, or limited slip differential, is for performance street and strip use. A spool is for drag racing only. A spool will cause handling problems on the street, and will usually end up breaking something like an axle, axle studs or a wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Listen to big gear head. He knows what he's talking about.

As far as spool vs posi. When I bought my 1969 last summer, it had a spool. The seller was making it into a drag car. A spool turns both wheels at the same time. This is what you want for drag racing. You DO NOT WANT this on the street. When you go around turns with a spool, one wheel will drag or skid,since both wheels are turning at the same speed. This can be dangerous. With a posi or limited slip the power goes to the wheel with the most traction when you are racing. It also allows one wheel to turn at a different speed around turns. A Locker locks both wheels under hard acceleration and then unlocks them around turns. I have heard Lockers are noisy and they are. You can hear the clunk of locking & unlocking around turns. If you will race the car and run it on the street on a limited basis a Detroit Locker is ok. I took out the 12 bolt spool w/ 4:10 gears and now I have a Moser 12 bolt w/ a Detroit Tru-Trac.

The Bottom Line: 1) If it's a Race Car go w/ a spool....2) If it's mostly race and semi-street Go with a Detroit Locker.....3) If you are going to drive it mostly on the street and race every once in a while go with a Detroit Tru-Trac. A posi & limted slip are the same thing. Both are street friendly. New car dealers started using the limited slip term in place of the posi term in the mid to late 1980's. The reason was the word posi was to gear head like and limited slip sounded more consumer friendly. I read that on wilkipedia.com and in Super Chevy.

Good Luck!!

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Fat Jack lost his Porky '48 Ford years ago when an axle let loose at like 1/2 track at 150 or so mph and it took a fast 90 degree turn into the guard rail b/c of his spool..

Since both wheels weren't pulling straight ahead, the one left did all the pulling and she made the car make a turn is the deal...........

pdq67

·
Registered
374 Posts
How did the spool let go of one axle? NOT saying it didn't happen, I just haven't heard of that happening. I've heard of an axle breaking causing the abrupt turn you describe but not a spool. Since the spool is one piece of material if it failed I would think everything would let go?

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I said Jack's car broke an axle and the other axle since it was still being powered by the spool, caused the car to make a power caused turn at speed and wrecked!!

You know, like an emergency braked one wheel induced spin-out sorta deal...

pdq67

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I think as long as you don't ever plan on turning, a spool will be just fine. At some point though, you may reach one of the major oceans (Pacific or Atlantic) and you are going to have to jack your car up and flip it around to go the other way. The cool thing is that you will only have to do this about every 3,500 miles. Just havin' fun!!

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
one of the cars at last years "run to the rockies" was running ET Streets and a spool. The owner said it wasn't too bad on the road, but was hell in tight low speed turns and parking lots.

It was pretty funny in parking lots, it would hop up and down!

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
The hoping up and down is why I did not keep the spool on my car. I hated that thing around turns. The part that sucks is making this car back into a street car.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I said Jack's car broke an axle and the other axle since it was still being powered by the spool, caused the car to make a power caused turn at speed and wrecked!!

You know, like an emergency braked one wheel induced spin-out sorta deal...

pdq67

Gotcha', Now I understand. Reminds me of a time back in the 70's @ Eddyville ,IA. Pro stocks were running. A Vega came off the line & snapped an axle with the front wheels still in the air. Car did a barrel roll and was totaled, driver was O.K.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I want to say that Fat Jack's car was darn near BRAND NEW on the strip when it happened after Swiss-cheesing it like he did to lighten it up!!!

I think he got the '48 Ford Coupe down to like 25 or 2700 pounds or so.

Down-right SHAME to me his accident!!!!!!!!!

pdq67

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
A spool isn't that bad in town. Give it the gas and burnout to turn.
But I rarely drive mine in town. If I wanted it easy to drive I'd go buy another CADDY. They are right, get a posi.
Later
Tim
77 Camaro , Wolf by name
412 SBC, no juice, 10.85/126 mph

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
"It was pretty funny in parking lots, it would hop up and down!"-JimM Oh man, that's gotta be hard on the tires....and rims....and about everything else!!
That was one SERIOUS car, too... red 02 SS, stroked LS2 on nitrous, wicked fast. Only car there that could give Mark's car a run.

He trailered it most of the way, but did leave the trailer in Missoula and drove it into Billlings and all weekend. They were a happy crew, somehting about a leaky fitting on the NOS bottle, hehe!

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Have you ever tried to push a car with a spool? As long as you're going straight it's no problem. Pushing it around a turn is much more difficult!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts