Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Long time listener, first time caller. I'm a pretty good DIY'er, and I have a son who enjoys working on the car with me, but I need some guidance on what to buy.

69 camaro ss clone. Lots of original (at least date correct) parts. 350 SB is not original but rebuilt and runs great. Tranny is TH400. It has front disk brakes that are fairly new.

10-bolt rear, drum breaks, leaf springs that are completely flat.

My next project is to replace the rear end. I'd like posi-traction, disk brakes, 12-bolt and new leaf springs. I'm assuming I can just buy and entire rear end ready for install so what do you recommend? I'm not racing and don't want to spend 10K on a fancy aftermarket end. I think the original style parts will suit my needs just fine.

One area I may need to outsource is running brake lines to the rear. I'd also like someone in the brake business to make sure the current booster system is sufficient and to confirm my vacuum is adequate.

Only other comment is that my end goal is to put a ZZ6 in. I know this is a whole topic in itself but the point is more horsepower while staying in the small block class and keeping a/c.

Thoughts?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,046 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/i/223201636916?chn=ps

add the disc brakes you want (I wouldn't, I would use the rear drums off of a 12 bolt Impala wagon (or a police car) 11 x 2-1/2 drum brake). Stock drums where smaller and narrower.

Big Dave
I did exactly what Dave is recommending on my Z. Very pleased with the results, and not expensive either. You can buy the kit, or go to the bone yards. I went the bone yard route. Always put new wheel cylinders, and springs on a drum brake. New drums were about the same price as rotors.

·
20,144 Posts
WOW, just looked at Currie and Moser rears.... man did they go up in price since I last looked :eek:

I guess That Ebay one is priced OK then ?

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Save some money. Your not racing the car, find an 8.5 10 bolt. Plenty strong for your needs.

·
Premium Member
4,046 Posts
I ran a 8.5 behind a 454 for 12 years. No problems . I was not running slicks, but did have a stall converter. Just the run of the mill Nova rear with a Trans Am posi carrier. A very fun car to drive.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How would you address the leaf springs? I know there's more to a smooth ride than springs but I literally feel every bump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts