Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to see if there is a solution on a rear end whine on deceleration
I have a 67 camaro with the stock rear end that whines.
Is this normal or what can I do to fix it??

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Mine whines on deceleration because it likes to keep going fast....

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
If it has a lot of miles on it thats pretty normal. If it has changed rapidly then something is comming loose(pinion nut or bearings dieing) or if it's a new setup it was done wrong.

·
20,016 Posts
May want to check your carrier bearings. If it has play , it will let the carrier shift and cause misalignment making it whine.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
It has been the same Whine for about 20+ years.
No rapid change
Then you need to leave the significant other at home and I bet the whine goes away:D

·
20,016 Posts
Then you need to leave the significant other at home and I bet the whine goes away:D

Now thats funny, I don't care who you are (except if you ARE that significant other) :yes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Freddie
If it has not been touched in 20+ years could the pinion nut still need to be backed off or might it just be wear?? Is there anything else that would solve the problem??

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
whine has been there awhile? then its not broke. LOL an old rail car friend of mine says if it whines just enough to be audible then theres nothing can be done and it is setup corrctly. you say it hasnt changed? Ill bet on everything being correct but teeth where cut incorrect to begin with. its a 8.5in ten bolt, isnt it? 3.08's or 3.23's did this alot im told....i could be wrong....

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
The nut doesn't need to be backed off. What I meant was that the nut might have backed off by itself and that is causing the problem. This happens sometimes. Check the nut and be sure it is tight. Check the pinion and see if you can move it up and down, or in and out. Any movement besides rotation is bad.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
My diff whined for a bit. I removed the cover and found the fluid low. I refilled the fluid and the whine got a bit fainter but never went a way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts