Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, its time for me to learn about rear ends. Does anyone out there know of a good web site or previous article that I could learn things like how to tell the difference between an 8" ten bolt and an 8.5" ten bolt, whats the difference between posi and limited slip, whats a Dana, a Locker, a Ford 9" and so on. What will fit in a first Gen Camaro, How are those Eaton posi units you can buy and bolt in. Basically I need Rear end 101 class!
Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
544 Posts
Contact biggearhead. He can and will answer all those questions above. Helped me out alot when I was looking into rebuilding. He alo sells rear ends also.

Dave

·
20,000 Posts
Buy Freddie's book when he's done writing.

·
Registered
858 Posts
You can read about ALL this & a lot more by doing searches under the "Transmission & Driveline" forum at this site. These things you what to know about have been discussed time & time again.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
I think Sir Mixalot wrote a song about rear ends. Could be wrong though.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you were a member you could check out the "rear end" thread in the 'off topic' forum. :yes: It has nearly 4000 posts and while I've not found it all that educational it has been very entertaining ;) lots of photos too :eek:

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
There are 3 rear ends that will bolt into a firts gen Camaro. The 8.2 and 12 bolt were available in these cars, and starting in '72 the Nova and other X body GM cars got the 8.5 10 bolt, which will also bolt into the Camaro. There are 2 different leaf springs, mono and multi. The spring perches on the rear end are made for one or the other, so your springs need to be right for the perches on the rear end.

The 8.2 10 bolt has a 1 1/8 pinion nut and 3/8 ring gear bolts with 9/16 heads. The 8.5 10 bolt has a 1 1/4 pinion nut and 7/16 ring gear bolts with 3/4 heads and left hand threads. The covers on these rear ends will interchange, so you can't go by that. I have 2 of the 8.2 rear ends with 8.5 covers on them.

Posi IS limited slip. Posi, Positive Traction, Sure Grip, Duragrip, Traction Lock, Power Lock, Safety Track... are all trade marke names for limited slip differentials made by different companies. Posi is Eaton's name and became so popular that it became the generic name for all limited slip differentials.

All of the limited slip differentials listed above are clutch type. A locker doesn't have a clutch like these. It works similar to a ratchet with steel teeth instead of clutch plates or cones. They work very well and will not slip under power for any reason. The only time they will allow one wheel to turn at a different speed is when turning. They make more noise than the clutch type units and they make the car jerk a little sometimes, but for drag racing the only thing better is a spool.

Internal parts to the 9 inch Ford Detroit Locker

9 inch Ford spool

Dana has been making rear ends for many years. The Dana 60 was originally a military rear end, but started being used in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks many years ago. They were used in Chrysler muscle cars in the '60s and early '70s with the Hemi and 440 6 Pack 4 speed cars. They are very tough. Dana makes many differenti size rear ends, like the 25, 30, 35, 44, 60, 70 and 80. They are used in everything from Corvettes to 2 ton trucks to Jeep Wranglers.

The 9 inch Ford was used from '57 to the mid '80s in Ford cars and trucks. It is called a 9 inch because the ring gear is 9 inches in diameter. That is the way most rear ends are identified. The 9 inch has a removable case that drops out from the front side, which makes it a little easier to work on. The 9 inch is a very strong rear end if built right. In stock form most of them are not much stronger than a good 10 bolt. The 9 inch has MANY after market parts available for it. You can easily build a 9 inch without using one Ford part in it.

As for the Eaton posi, I think it is the best street/strip differential you can use in a GM car. It is rebuildable, tunable, strong and works very well.

Eaton posi for the 12 bolt Chevy

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey Freddie
THis is a very late question about rear ends after many searches that turn up your name. I have a new Auburn posi unit in a rebuilt 8.23 ten bolt GM in a 67 Camaro. IT makes a loud clunking noise when turning sharp, slow corners, forward and reverse. Its indicated this is a problem with the clutch not releaseing and needing limited slip additive. Here on Maui I could not find "Ford" branded fluid. Can you tell me what's the difference between Ford or GM branded fluid and autoparts store fluid that says it's rated for Ford or GM? And do I need to remove all the diff fluid before adding the additive?
Many thanks for you response
S Miller

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
Can you get the GM additive? The stuff that the auto parts stores sells just doesn't seem to work. I don't know why. The Auburn usually needs 2 bottles of the additive. If the oil is not very old then just add it to what you have. If the oil has been in there for a few years, or if you have been doing a lot of burnouts then you might want to change it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts