Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered both the LEFT and RIGHT INNER REAR WHEEL HOUSES for $54 each. I specifically told my salesman that I wanted them both from the SAME distributor so they would match (as best as possible--Taiwan sucks for that-- I know)

Lo and behold, after unwrapping both, one has the Red and White sticker on it and the gauge of metal is nice and heavy. The top fin where it would meet up to the outer wheel house is flat and clean. The holes are drilled out on both end tabs.

NEXT, I unwrap the other side (RH rear inner wheel house) and immediately notice a weight and gauge difference, AND that the top fin where it meets the outer wheelhouse looks ribbed and wavy where the contours are. Also, the piece weighed 12 ounces LESS than the LH unit on my new digital scale. The sticker on this one (RH) is a plain white label with typed part info on it instead) --like from an old fashioned typewriter...

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE??? Has anyone else encountered this with inner rear wheel houses? Are they that different in weight? Do ALL right hand sides have a wavy top fin and appear to be a thinner guage metal?

HELP! // ADVICE?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Quite honestly, 12 ounces in difference between panels is pretty close in my opinion.
The panels were not intended to be absolutely identical. Some items are final trimmed by hand, causing inconsistencies. Above all, differences in steel density/composition could also account for this difference.
The waves you're mentioning happen on quite a few reproduction parts. It's unfortunate, but a regular occurrence with reproduction parts.

Do you happen to have pics of these panels for comparison?

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got them today, but I can shoot a few photos and post them. It is raining outside now here in Florida, so I will have to do it tomorrow in the day light since my garage is too packed with Camaro parts. Literally no where to sit them down to even take a photo.

Thanks
Todd

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Talking about wheel houses...has anyone noticed that at the front of the inner houses are more rounded than square to fit up against the rockers in the corner? When I did mine on the 68 it took a lot of "tweaking" to get them to fit in that area. The factory had a big blob of seam sealer in the area (inside the car between the wheel house and the floor pan), but the way mine laid in, it would have taken several globs.

Not trying to hijack the thread...just brought back some painful thoughts.

Scott

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure about thickness but the Dynacorn wheel house fits a little better than the Goodmark.
They both have "made in Taiwan" stickers on them, but as mentioned in my original post, one is red and white and large, and the other one (on the cheaper quality wheel house) there is a small white generic sticker with the part info on it.

I have bought other dynacorn and goodmark pieces, and the good one has the same sticker as my other new sheetmetal pieces, and they all have the larger red/white or blue/white stickers on them too.

It seems like I received a cheap repro and a good repro. Unfortunately, I shopped for price since I am on a budget and bought them through Tamraz. They were as defensive as anything on the phone and really didn't want to give me the time of day until I started to really dig and complain. I regret buying anything from them. Rob was the salesman I dealt with today. Horrible customer service. Rob said that "All RH rear inner wheel houses have sloppy stampings and their guages of metal vary with every one". Hmmmm!

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
I actually thought about getting panels through them, but if I were to buy over the internet I would talk to BelairBob here in this site. Everyone I have talked to about buying parts says he is the man to go to.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Todd,
Just wanted to mention we are now a Goodmark and Dynacorn dealer and stock most of the first gen replacement panels.

Not sure where you are but we could save you shipping cost and probably save you money on your replacement parts. :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
869 Posts
Talking about wheel houses...has anyone noticed that at the front of the inner houses are more rounded than square to fit up against the rockers in the corner? When I did mine on the 68 it took a lot of "tweaking" to get them to fit in that area. The factory had a big blob of seam sealer in the area (inside the car between the wheel house and the floor pan), but the way mine laid in, it would have taken several globs.

Not trying to hijack the thread...just brought back some painful thoughts.

Scott
Yes, they need some slight modding in that area to fit properly.

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Todd,
Just wanted to mention we are now a Goodmark and Dynacorn dealer and stock most of the first gen replacement panels.

Not sure where you are but we could save you shipping cost and probably save you money on your replacement parts. :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Brian
Brian,
Hi. Thanks for the offer and help. Unfortunately, I already bought it all over the years as I could afford it. The only two parts I should have waited on to buy were the trunk pan and the one-piece floor pan. I bought all the individual trunk pans and the two halves to make a whole floor pan. My tranny tunnel is nice and clean though in the car. It would be a shame to cut it out.

Todd

·
Registered
216 Posts
in 1969 and on, i worked in a auto stanping plant in mich. the under/inner parts are all made from the scrap from the die stanping of the fenders, top trunks etc. the wheel cut out of the fender is transformed into the inner fender in the rear. its amazing how you can bend that metal with a 10 ton die. anyway, if you ever find a true survivor, you will see round corners on one square on another, wavy lines etc. what amazed me was that the parts fit at all. but they are holding together longer than I am! p.s. ALL vinyl tops were done to cover imperfection, pin holes, cracks etc. one year we couldn't make a good top due to the bending of the corners, presto! landau tops were invented! prob by ME!!

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
That is a cool bit of insight from the stamping days...

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After reading all the posts and help, I see that I have been entering a world of metal work and welding, expecting perfection. Now that I know what to expect, I am comfortable with it all. Team Camaro did the trick again! (better than therapy!) Thanks guys!:hurray:

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When removing the inner wheel wells on the rear of the car, will I need to brace the rear seat partition, trunk floor or anything else, since I will have to drill out all spot welds that connect these? Or can I just drill them out and simply replace the inners 123?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts