Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted something in wheels and tires but I figured it would be better here. here's the deal. I installed new hotchkis springs and after measuring I noticed the rear is a little more than 1/2" to the pass side...It may have been like this before so I can't say it's the springs. I installed the springs and left all the bolts a little loose then lowered the car and tightened. I did this 2 times so I don't think that could be it. I measured the perch to the axle flange and thats the same on both sides, the rear is correct. I measured the frame rail to the outer fender lip and thats the same. I don't know whats going on!!! Can someone help? If I am able to move it over 1/4" my wheels would fit perfect. On the pass side the wheel will be real close to the lip and 1/2 away from the drivers. So I need my 1/4...Help please...

If I installed something like this http://www.speedtech-performance.com/pdf/Offset_Shackles_install_guide.pdf for my 1/4" wouldn't that angle my wheels to one direction?

·
Registered
993 Posts
you are not alone! i just had my global west springs installed on my 69 and the passenger side is one-half inch closer to the outside fender than the left. i'd thought about it for some time and gave up. everything is positioned in fixed points on the car. i can't think of anything that can change it. my del-a-lum bushings and shackles aren't moving. the spring perches can't move. the spring pocket is stationary. the spring is tight in the hole on the shock plate. the car sat a half-inch lower on the rear passenger side as well. on the front, the drivers side was 3/4 of an inch taller than the passenger side. i just removed the front suspension and with the front end on jackstands, the back leveled out and the rear is within 1/16 of an inch on center. turns out it was the front drivers side 'pushing down', or deflecting weight to the rear passengers side, moving the rear end over, or more accurately rolling the body so that the passenger side is lower and closer to the tire. give us some measurements at the 4 corners and maybe that might solve the mystery for you. good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny , I thought of everything you just said and did! My pass side is 1/4" lower also. I jack up the fromt and it levels out but still over 1/2" or so. I can't see how the offset shackle works without moving the front eye socket also. So I would guess thats out. Where should I do the measurements from?

Just thinking... would if the front eye pocket was moved 1/4" over on both sides (theres a little room)by elongating the tab and holes that centers the bracket. Then add 1/4 of washers to one side of the shackle to move it over too? just a thought.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Guy's, Our old cars were MADE this way..

Mine "fingers" like a finger and a half in front over to the pass side and my rear like almost two fingers over..

This is why our tires rub on one side for no apparent reason..

Take your two fingers and "finger" the top shoulder/corner/roll of your tires w/ respect to the wheel lip right in the top middle and you will see what I mean..

I've casually done this at shows off and on for years to check our old cars and that's just the way they are... Some dead-nuts on, some off a schosh and others just like mine!!

And I tried to move my new rear springs new front spring mounts over best I could to the drivers side when I installed them and my Jegs bolt-on S/F/C's too..

I gained MAYBE 5/16" or so...............

pdq67

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had this problem. Even though everything appeared to be squared up it was not. I redid my suspension that included new Hotchkis springs front and rear. What I found was that the rear was slightly off on the passenger side. It may be due to the staggered shocks. I have subframe connectors, etc. and the my alignment consisted of taking some fishing line and using thumb tacks to place it at the axle level from front to rear on each side. My passenger side had about a 1/4inch gap while my drivers side had no gap by the same amount. I decided that I would not live with it and spent the day trying to get it perfect. What I did was jack up the rear and let it float then one side at a time loosened up the front of the perches and kicked the tires. Drivers side was kicked back, passenger side was kicked forward. The drivers side didn't do anything. I decided to unbolt the subframe connector completely on the passenger side in front then I kicked the passenger side tire forward. The axle lined up perfectly. When I went in to redrill the SF connector it lined up perfectly also. This was after I was ready to force the passenger side back about 1/4inch. My take on it was the clips were holding just enough to keep it from moving naturally.

·
Retired
26,741 Posts
If I read this correct you are saying the rear end is shifted to one side a bit. There may be some wiggle room in the front spring pockets. There could be some wiggle room in the spring perch where the pin on the leaf spring goes up into the hole in the spring perch.

The offset shackle is for a relocating the spring for mini tubs and tire clearence. I don't think they would help your problem...

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok this is what I did today and it worked. We'll see when the alignment comes. I ended up loosening everything. I installed 3 washers totaling 3/16 a little less than 1/4" on the top shackle bolt on one side and the same on the bottom shackle bolt on the other. Did this on both sides. In turn making a offset shackle moving both shackles to the drivers side. I lowered the front spring pockets and elongated the index hole for the perch ever so slightly and moved them both over around the same. After letting it down and keeping everything hand tight I drove around the block. Went under the car and tightened everything snug. Took my measurement and I am a now 3/16 off !!!!!!!! I don't know how doing what I did, only moving it 3/16" made up for over 1/2 or so???? Get this the rear on the drivers side was always around 1/2 higher and now it's a little less than 1/4"!!!! I'm very happy.Time to order my wheels and tires!!!:hurray:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts