Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY GUYS, I have a 69 and thinking of replace my rear leaf springs. I've had my car 39years now ands I know my leaf springs have been beat to hell and back with Traction Bars-Drag Racing-Street Racing etc. Guess I'm getting old before I tore the car apart this last time, I took the traction bars off and replaced the rubber/plates and bolts and the first drive down the road I noticed how much better the car rode I told you I'm getting old. The car was a bracket car when I bought it back in 84 and its a factory BB car. I have know ideal what springs are in the front or if they been cut etc. But the car has always sat a little high end the front for me. Now you can buy what you want I bought a 2" lower springs to install for the front when I go back together with the car. However now I'm thinking about the rear leaf springs thinking they might have been some of my problem not liking the front, hoping i didnt go to much with 2' lower coils. So know I'm trying to figure out what leaf springs stock height 1.5" lower etc.

Curious to hear form you guys that have swap your leaf springs out. Are you happy or wished you did differently...ride height etc.

12,069 Posts
So these are my thoughts:

GM had the the springs "computer" selected based on weights of car and options (there is a chart in the front of GM manuals). Also, if you look at all factory pics from 69 the front is higher than the rear. The springs you get now do not have the fine differences GM used.

So when a manufacturer says they have a 2" drop springs, 2" from what? A factory 6-cyl coupe, or a big block vert SS/RS with AC?

For my 69 327 vert (14" wheels), I went with Moog 6320 front springs and factory monos re-arched 1.5" OVER stock specs the Spring shop had. My car is really low compared to other 69s, but has a nice rake with the rear 1" higher then front. Google 6308 and 6320 will get many discussions on springs :)

Rear leafs have less options, but you still need to look at spring rates and loaded height specs.

So depending on your engine weight and other options you need to figure your spring rate and free height. Moog 6308 springs are the "go to" for Z/28 stock front springs, but I have heard availability issues lately. Moog 6320 are the same rate as 6308, but 1+ inches taller.
Here is a great read on 1st gen suspensions: FIRST GEN SUSPENSION and look at the "Springs" section.

1968 Camaro LS swap, TH350 FMFVB, 5000 stall, 12 bolt w/ 35 spline and spooled 4.10's
21,323 Posts
Shocks alone make a world of difference.

· Registered
1,659 Posts
HEY GUYS, I have a 69 and thinking of replace my rear leaf springs. I've had my car 39years now ands I know my leaf springs have been beat to hell and back with Traction Bars-Drag Racing-Street Racing etc. Guess I'm getting old before I tore the car apart this last time, I took the traction bars off and replaced the rubber/plates and bolts and the first drive down the road I noticed how much better the car rode I told you I'm getting old. The car was a bracket car when I bought it back in 84 and its a factory BB car. I have know ideal what springs are in the front or if they been cut etc. But the car has always sat a little high end the front for me. Now you can buy what you want I bought a 2" lower springs to install for the front when I go back together with the car. However now I'm thinking about the rear leaf springs thinking they might have been some of my problem not liking the front, hoping i didnt go to much with 2' lower coils. So know I'm trying to figure out what leaf springs stock height 1.5" lower etc.

Curious to hear form you guys that have swap your leaf springs out. Are you happy or wished you did differently...ride height etc.
Mono leaf or multi?

· Registered
1,138 Posts
Mono leaf or multi?
i dont like any of that dropped stuff spindles springs etc.If your looking to replace what you have you have to buy your springs from EATON SPRING in MI.They have all the correct factory springs but you have to be exact in every detail of the car .They are also very expensicve.Twice the aftermarket with a discount . I have never used Eaton Springs Nor will i. I have always had great luck with TRW Sealed Power AndMoog Ilike a taller stance car but thats me . You can use BB springs in a Sb car if you like and vice versa . All aftermarket springs are 16% stronger than the factory stuff to combat old age spring sag . Now to the rears i would use Multi leaf BB springs even on a sb car the leaves are a tad thicker than the HD sbc springs and they won,t wrap under a burnout or hole shot.. I like the old lakewood slapper bars properly set up at drive height others like Cal Tracks but thats me . Just because they came out withj something new does not mean its any better than the old way sometimes it is but not always . Never argue with a successful set up if it works its good . Thats the scoop first factual and foremost LOL Now for the evening news nothing good to report folks its the same ols S---t today and every day. good night David good night Chet and Good night for TEXACO ...Alex

· Registered
1,659 Posts
i dont like any of that dropped stuff spindles springs etc.If your looking to replace what you have you have to buy your springs from EATON SPRING in MI.They have all the correct factory springs but you have to be exact in every detail of the car .They are also very expensicve.Twice the aftermarket with a discount . I have never used Eaton Springs Nor will i. I have always had great luck with TRW Sealed Power AndMoog Ilike a taller stance car but thats me . You can use BB springs in a Sb car if you like and vice versa . All aftermarket springs are 16% stronger than the factory stuff to combat old age spring sag . Now to the rears i would use Multi leaf BB springs even on a sb car the leaves are a tad thicker than the HD sbc springs and they won,t wrap under a burnout or hole shot.. I like the old lakewood slapper bars properly set up at drive height others like Cal Tracks but thats me . Just because they came out withj something new does not mean its any better than the old way sometimes it is but not always . Never argue with a successful set up if it works its good . Thats the scoop first factual and foremost LOL Now for the evening news nothing good to report folks its the same ols S---t today and every day. good night David good night Chet and Good night for TEXACO ...Alex
This much I can attest from my own experience. The Eaton mono leaf springs I received raised the rear of my car 3” above stock. I only replaced them because the left one broke at the front mount. The part number directly cross referenced to my car application. The hassle to return them far outweighed the search and installation of a set of used ones. They fit as they should and the car sits level. After numerous calls and then having the vendor requiring me to pay for return shipping for credit, I made my decision and moved on and gave them to the local speed shop. My brother put the same set on his 67 back in 2003, and it still sits at the same height…..3” too high.….looks like ****. They WILL NOT settle…..not even after 20 years. Period.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mono leaf or multi?
What's on the car now is multi leaf...and I've always run a sbc in the car. So the front springs are worn-out BB springs or they have been cut on or something before I bought the car. I put regular/cheap gas shocks and stock-size shackles on the car years ago but I've been happy with the stance.

· Registered
68 Base Camaro, 355 Offy crossram, Richmond Street close ratio 5 spd, 92K SoCal car
3,299 Posts
Also stay away from OER rear shackle kit as hole to hole spacing is 3/4" longer than stock. Or buy the kit for the bolts and bushing and reuse your original metal shackle bars. The bolts in the OER kit are better than stock bc the square beneath the carriage bolt head is slightly longer and helps bolts stay in shackle bars while tightening. Saves your knuckles!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts