Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my pan off and I am replacing the rear main seal due to a leak, but I need to know which side faces the harmonic damper? I am not sure the guy before me installed it correctly as it's always been leaking. Here are some pics. As you can see, one side is solid and the other side has a groove around the circumfrence. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Hi charlie, its been a while but the last pic you posted is the correct way, big lip towards harmonic balancer or front of engine.. I guess you will know when you pull the old one out, additionally I would off set the seals in the rear cap.

Jeff G.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I've made a number of the molds for making those seals. The small lip to the right of your last picture is a dirt seal to keep contaminates out. That faces the back of the motor. The large lip has helix grooves in it to pump oil back into the motor. With the front of the motor on the left and a clockwise crankshaft rotation you can see how the grooves work. If you put it in backwards the grooves will pump oil out the back of the motor.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
... If you put it in backwards the grooves will pump oil out the back of the motor.
They sure will :eek:

Repaired a huge leak a few years back for a friend that bought a long-block from a local builder.
He (builder) wouldn't touch it unless it was removed from car and returned to him for inspection - as 'he never has problems with his builds' :sad:

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've made a number of the molds for making those seals. The small lip to the right of your last picture is a dirt seal to keep contaminates out. That faces the back of the motor. The large lip has helix grooves in it to pump oil back into the motor. With the front of the motor on the left and a clockwise crankshaft rotation you can see how the grooves work. If you put it in backwards the grooves will pump oil out the back of the motor.
So which picture shows the side that faces the damper? I was told the side that has the groove that runs the circumfrence of the seal goes toward the damper. You say the solid side goes toward the damper. Which is correct?

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The side that has those hash marks faces the flywheel or the 1st picture is correct. The side without the hash marks should face the crankshaft.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Goes in how though? I was told those marks are supposed to face the flywheel, not the damper. The last picture is what you would see if you are looking from the flywheel side, not the damper side. If you were looking from the damper side toward the flywheel, you would see the 3rd picture. If the hash marks face the flywheel, then picture 4 is backwards.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Bottom picture-the lip goes toward the damper. I also use a tiny bit of sealer on the ends and offset the ends from the joints in the cap. Also, don't forget to wipe oil on the crank/seal area before installing the crank. Too clean of surface and the silicone can stick to the crank.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Nice description! I think even I can remember that. :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts