Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to replace the rear outer wheel wells without taking the quarter panels off,???.. Is it very hard to do, or is it impossible to do???????... I know it would be easier to do with the qrts off, but my qrts have been replaced with skins before I bought the car,, it is a 1968 firebird... they are rusted out around the wheel well opening only..,, The wheel wells should have been replaced when the skins were welded on but they did'nt do it for some reason... :(

·
Registered
361 Posts
I can only speak from our experience with our '69 project (see my pics link).
When we bought it, our '69's rear quarters had skins on with only the door jamb and upper seams attached. So we could pull the lower rear part of the quarter away from the car. Even though we could do this, it was a PITA to replace our wheel wells. The inner was not so bad, but the outer took a LOT of patience. I cannot see how you could replace the outer wheel well with the quarter fully attached, and not do damage.
The irony (i.e., a lot of wasted effort) for us is we ended up replacing our driver side with a full quarter and will do the Pass side also.
But we did get the "experience" <lol>

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I had the same problem on my 69 camaro the reason was I had my quarters replaced around 1980 GM still sold quarters but wheel wells were already discontinued for the 69's. The repo houses were selling a cheap fix, it was just the lip area, some said it was the outer edge of a lemans wheel well which has a similar shape, I dont know but it didn't fit well at all so when repos became available I too wanted mine changed but I seen no way of getting it in in one piece, thought about putting it in in two pieces, after looking and trying different ways it just wasn't going to happen. I figured if I could get it up in there, in the position that it goes, and just slide it strait into the quarter it would work, but what kept that from happening is the is the inside lip its under the inner and keeping it cocked. So this is what I did with good results,I cleaned all the sealer out of the seam where the inner and outer meet, I cut the old outer well out leaving about 1/4 inch outside the seam, then I cut the inside lip off the new well leaving just a little so it would turn up into the seam I was then able to roll the well right up in there and I tell you, it took a little pushing, but when it snapped in I dont think I could have got it back out if I wanted too. I welded it in the seam and ground it smooth to look like sealer

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
I am replacing mine at the same time as the quarters. My new outers dont line up with the quarter panel in the lip. Anybody run into this...??? Any suggestions...

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
None of the fender wells line up to the quarters. You are going to have to massage the fender well lip to your quarter panel. Once you have a fit that you are satisfied with and spot welded in, them take a cutoff saw or recpricating saw and cut the quarter and fender well together. My nos quarters had a nice straight lip and I just cut the fender well lip to match the quarter panel.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Suggestion: Cut them half way through, with the cut going front to back and maybe they will fit in?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts