Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I've read previous posts about this, but didn't see my issue addressed. My problem is that the gap between the doorjam metal and rear panel edge appears to be too wide for the windlace to bridge the two. Has anybody seen anything like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Do you have the windlace to install. I have an old set and just measured them. They are over 1/2" wide.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up separating the cardboard from the vinyl and then wrapped it around the pinchweld. It still kind of looks funny. Is this wrong?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
The front edge of the door panel should be on the raised edge and the windlace butts up against it. In your last photo it looks like the panel needs to slide forward a little.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I slide the rear panel any more forwards, I'll have to have the windlace cover both the vinyl and the cardboard of the rear panel, and my understanding was that the windlace should only cover the vinyl portion of the rear panel (plus, it won't fit over both the cardboard and the vinyl and the pinch weld)

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,439 Posts
You have it assembled correctly as far as I can tell from the pics. I think some of your trouble is the windlace. Originals are bulkier (for lack of a better description) at the top and do a better (not perfect) job of filling in to match the panel contour.

·
11,271 Posts
trimming the repro cardboard to get it to allign with the raised lip of the inner qtr was the correct thing to do. But the extra flap of vinyl should be contact cemented down and wrapped around metal to get a smooth edge. then the windlace on top of that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, I'll consider trimming the cardboard. There's this screw hole on the flap of vinyl that should be wrapped around the pinch weld. Should there be a hole in the pinchweld to put a screw through?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I should say, I didn't trim the cardboard but rather separated the vinyl which was wrapped around and glued to the cardboard. I then wrapped that vinyl around the pinchweld.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could one of you guys post a pic of your windlace near the window, maybe with the door opened? I want to make sure I don't have things backwards or upside down. Thanks so much! I don't know what I'd do without your help!

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Her's mine

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Larry. I think my problem might be that the pinch weld is too wide. I checked out a friend's 69 today (which has a stripped down but original body) and his pinch weld (whatever that ledge is) is much narrower than mine. As a pic above shows, mine is all bent as well

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to keep it like this for a while. The Lip at the tip is a bit bent. I'll come later if it starts to annoy me too much! Sorry the pic is sideways... Using my phone

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Yes there is a little tab on the windlass that goes under the window fuzzy strip and that looks about right for after market stuff like I have. :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Looks like you need to bend the steel lip that is under the vinyl to fit into the window slot of the quarter panel, this will pull the panel in against the pinch weld tighter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts