Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am missing a piece that was welded to the window frame area and the went down on inside of the interior. But have not found what it is called. At least I believe to have a piece missing. Remember breaking off a rusted piece of metal years ago. Could someone confirm?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe it was just the corners. Just remembered breaking off rusted pieces, but been too long ago.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,846 Posts
I don't know much about the anode clips other than they were sacrificial so most are long gone by now. They weren't in the interior though, just in the window channel. There's a photo in the link I posted in case you missed it..

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know much about the anode clips other than they were sacrificial so most are long gone by now. They weren't in the interior though, just in the window channel. There's a photo in the link I posted in case you missed it..
It was not the clips. Been dealing with those clips on my el camino recently so relatively familiar with those.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe you are missing a piece. I would call it a "cap" although I've never seen it reproduced. I assume it is spot welded in place. Here's a few pics from my 67.
That looks like what I removed a long time ago as it was rusted where it meets the window channel. Wish I knew it was not reproduced at that time, would have tried to save it. Thanks for confirming. Will try to look through catalogs for it in case it does show up

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
That must be new. Ordered that panel couple of years ago and was disappointed to find the piece I needed was not included.
It's not new. I've replaced that full Dutchman, or decklid filler panel numerous times in the past 10 years. The molding clip studs are not always located properly and may have to be redone. I use a unispotter and not those screw in studs.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not new. I've replaced that full Dutchman, or decklid filler panel numerous times in the past 10 years. The molding clip studs are not always located properly and may have to be redone. I use a unispotter and not those screw in studs.
Well, been looking again and looks like they are different versions. I ordered a replacement panel few years ago as was sure it should have the piece I need, but it did not. Nice to see confirmation that just need to get the right one

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
That must be new. Ordered that panel couple of years ago and was disappointed to find the piece I needed was not included.
Pretty sure I bought it at Chevy Vettefest in 1996 or at D and R shortly after. I had just recieved a payout on home equity from my divorce and bought a pile of parts. The one I got does not have the trim studs installed.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Received a piece that has that section included. Now wondering if better to just cut the section needed and weld in after clean up or replace the whole piece. Leaning towards clean up and welding in only the missing section.

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
By your pictures posted it would be best to just cut and replace what is needed. No need to create a whole lot more unnecessary work.

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
The pic shows the window channel bed is shot. That bed is spotwelded. After you cut out just the bed and correctly prepare the substructure, how were you going to attach your replacement to the window channel riser where the molding studs are? How solid is the rest of the Dutchman panel? Sometimes replacing part of a panel is inferior and more time consuming than replacing an entire panel.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The pic shows the window channel bed is shot. That bed is spotwelded. After you cut out just the bed and correctly prepare the substructure, how were you going to attach your replacement to the window channel riser where the molding studs are? How solid is the rest of the Dutchman panel? Sometimes replacing part of a panel is inferior and more time consuming than replacing an entire panel.
Replacing the whole piece will be easier and less time consuming. Only thought of trying to do partial is to keep most of the original intact. Would have to remove damaged area, slowly stitch weld and then smooth the transition.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts