Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like there's always a few details here and there...I'm sprucing up the interior now and I ordered new window cranks and door handles and I was looking at my rear seat ashtrays...looking kinda pitted and ugly, so I've started looking. You'd think it'd be pretty simple to just get new ashtrays, but the ones I have have groves in the tops, and all the repro ones I see are smooth. So which ones are proper for my car, and where do I get them?
Thanks guys...

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Steve, I waited til I got home so I could peek at da car, and you're confusion is well deserved. The correct ashtray for a '68, or at least, the ashtrays in yours and mine, have grooves in the top. I checked the D&R catalog, and all thay list is smooth covers for '67.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for checking on that Jim. I checked Ground Up, Year One and Classic Industries, and they all have the smooth top ones too. Oh well, here we go again...
...searching for that elusive part! Guess my best bet will be eBay.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I just went out in the garage an checked mine. They have grooves as well.

I looked at the catalogs for Ricks, Ground Up, and NPD and all the pictures show smooth covers.

:confused:

·
Retired
16,007 Posts
grind the old ones clean and paint silvery color.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Here is the story guys. The 1967 coupes with deluxe interior and convertibles all have 4 ribbed ash trays in the rear passenger arm rest. The 1968's had 3 ribs. I have seen these on Ebay only a couple of times. They went for some pretty hefty cash. Around $30 to 50 for the pair. The ones I saw were not pitted and in great shape. None of the parts companies are selling the original types.

Click that was a good one. ROFL!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might just have to try your idea Click. I'll clean them up as good as I can and try it. If it doesn't work, I can always just get the repops. Maybe somethin' will show up on eBay sooner or later. Its always the little things, aint it... :(
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Ok.. Ya’ll made me have to go and look. My 67 Firebird coupe has 5 ribs and the ones that I think are out of the 67 Camaro conv. have 5 ribs as well..
Oh yeah! I just remembered, when I was getting a hair cut the other day the ash trays in the barbers chairs all had the three ribbed ashtrays. I thought they looked familiar when I was putting my cigarette out. Before you make a comment about the smoking, It’s a real barber shop out in the country where men go to smoke, drink, lie, cuss, and fart while getting a hair cut and shave. You can even watch old WW 2 movies and practice putting while your waiting.

[ 11-24-2004, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Geezer ]

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Firebird ashtrays are different than Camaro's. As you said, 5 ribs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts