1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I did two seemingly small jobs on the Camaro today;
1) Cut perfect 6x9 speaker ovals on the rear deck
2) Install an 18 gauge aluminum trunk side firewall
First job went alright, a dremel and 6 of those little disks and a finishing grind cleaned up the stock (and horribly non-oval) speaker cutouts. Installing a metal firewall without a lot of handy power tools is quite simply, a major main. First thing I did was measure out the shape I wanted then used pruning shears to cut it out as hacksaws jam up and cutoff wheels don't work so well with a cordless drill, this procedure is pretty tough on the forearm and I'm going to have problems eating cereal tomorrow. next step was to use a silicone sealant on every high spot/seat support that the firewall would attach to, this not only isolates the steel sheetmetal from the aluminum but will keep any rattles and squeaks away. The last step was to drill and rivet the piece to the car in 22 places, only the middle 6 were "too blind" and had to be drilled from the trunk. Now all thats left to do is measure, cut and apply second skin audio 'damplifier pro' mats and glue on the original jute/cardboard padding.

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
Its for NHRA compliance as my battery and nitrous is in the back..makes it a whole lot safer IMO plus its the only thing that sound deadening butyl mats will stick to so it will also be quieter.
Looks good.:beers:

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Its for NHRA compliance as my battery and nitrous is in the back..makes it a whole lot safer IMO plus its the only thing that sound deadening butyl mats will stick to so it will also be quieter.
What about the package tray, where you fixed the speakers holes? The firewall you installed seems like it would help but what about the holes 3 inches away from it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts