Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone tell me what the deal with my shock mount is. It appears to be a mono leaf mount with multi-leaf springs. If this is the case can I use this with the kyb shocks #5521 ? what are my options. if I can use this how do I mount the shock? PICTURE

·
15,370 Posts
That's definitely a multileaf perch, and multileaf (6?) springs. That block in there looks like a lowering block. Why the heck someone would do that is beyond me unless those springs raised the rear too far. You'll have a heck of a time getting shocks to work properly and might need shock extenders.
How does the car sit right now?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry about the picture link.
when i bought the car 17 years ago those springs were on there, I used stock replacement stocks and they seemed to work fine.I put the lowering blocks on the car to get it down. i like the way it sits. but with the 2 inchs extra in length to my shock mount. which is a mono mount yes or no? is the question and do i need a different shock mount. thanks for your help!!!

·
15,370 Posts
I'm sorry! Not used to seeing 6-leafs, unless those are considered 5. They must have really raised the car for you to put those lowering blocks in.

Yes, they're mono shock plates. Multi-leaf plates only have one tab to mount the shock.

Supposedly using them on a setup like yours will extend the shock 2 inches farther than designed and possibly over-extending them at times. Even using a multi-leaf shock. That's what shock extenders are for.

I was going to re-use my old rears mono shock plates on my multi-leaf rear because it didn't come with the correct ones, but I didn't want to use extenders so I bought the proper shock plates. They're $30 a piece for imports from Ricks First Gen. or $35 for U.S. made reproductions.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I don't see how adding lowering block to a car neccesitates using shock extensions. My understanding is that as the car is lowered, the space between the shock mounts does not change. The only thing that really occurs is that the space between the axle and bump stop is decreased.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Lowering blocks do not change shock travel. Mono leaf shock plates and a multi leaf spring would increase the distance due to the multiple leafs acting as spacers. Mono leaf mounts will often end up bending like a "U" if used on a multi leaf. I have some nice aftermarket ones from DetroitSpeed http://www.detroitspeed.com/ProductsAndServices.html that are really heavy duty and reduce shock travel an inch or more compared to mono leaf brackets, they are for multi or mono leaf. Only thing I found was that the lower shock mount bolt is a 1/2 inch as opposed to 7/16 like stock. I drilled out the bushing in the shock to accept a 1/2 bolt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info. as far as having 6 leafs on the spring I dont know, now you have me wondering what they are from? so what is the difference between mono shocks and multi-leaf shocks? the mount hole size? the shock travel?
because i bought kyb shocks for a multi-leaf setup and then found out that i have a mono shock plate. I really dont want to use extenders but i will for a while as long as it not going to cause any major problems. I'm re-doing the whole car but trying to not go overboard with all the expenses.

thanks

·
15,370 Posts
Landguy,

Do a search through this forum. There's tons of info on the differences.

Extenders won't cause any problems. You aren't going to be carving up the canyon roads are you? ;)
If you're just going at the car a little at a time, like I said the multi-leaf shock plates are only $35 a piece from Ricks, then you can just keep the shocks and U-bolt hardware you're using now.
And like Mr. Early said, using the mono plates on a multileaf setup can bend them (mine did). But it looks like yours are still nice and flat. Is that piece between the spring leafs and the shock plate steel or rubber? It looks like it's helping keep the plate flat.

New springs will run you somewhere between $180 for stock type replacements to over $400 for a lowering type spring. Some come with new bushings, some don't. I'd be willing to bet a stock replacement spring on your car will put the stance back where it belongs, and you can get rid of those blocks. Are the spring shackles original type or some kind of aftermarket type that is lifting the rear of the car?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts