Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I need to replace my rear shocks does anyone have a recommendation to what I should run. I have QA1 coil over in the front will be running bigger swaybar up front and frame connectors . I also have 17's on the car.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,108 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I run QA1 coil overs in the front and QA1's in the rear with Hotchkis leaf springs and 17" TTO's. I have had no issues as yet.
Do you know which ones thems seems to bee a bunch of differant QA1 rear shocks

·
Registered
521 Posts
QA1 all around.

·
Retired
26,950 Posts
I am completely happy with the Koni Classic's I have on my car... They work really well with Hotchkis springs. Hotchkis sells re-valved Bilsteins with their springs and that would be my other suggestion...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I run

Edelbrock Classic IAS 33041 (FT) and 34046 (RR) Shocks

They are excellent with my Eibach front and Hotchkis Rear Leaf springs.
$65/each free shipping
http://carpartsplanet.com/product.php?productid=63650
Just did a read up on these very interesting...

The world's smartest shock.
Edelbrock Performer IAS monotube shocks use a patented inertia-activated valve that instantly adjusts to driving conditions. It's simple enough: On smooth terrain, the valve closes to give you a firm ride, excellent cornering, and reduced body sway. Under rough conditions, the valve opens to make the shocks softer and more responsive. So your wheels follow the contour of the driving surface, for a smoother off-road ride. These shocks use polyurethane bushings for added responsiveness, and their high-pressure monotube design eliminates oil foaming and dissipates heat more effectively. Other features include nitro-steel piston rods, heavy-duty welds, and an attractive red powdercoated finish.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So now that I have 1 1/2 lowing blcks do I need to worry that the shock will not be long enough:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have the same question, I need a rear shock recommendation. My '67 has multileafs, slapper bars and the stock 12bolt with c-clip eliminators. I would only take it to the strip once or twice just to see what it can do - so I don't need something I can dial in constantly, but I would like to be able to tune it for the best response/comfort. Iv'e found there is a wide variety and an even wider range of cost. Here are cheap, middle of the road and expensive options I have put together from what I've seen recommended...

KYB Gas-A-Just $40 ea - http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_125850_-1

Koni "Special Series" $100 ea - http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_127778_-1

QA1 "Stocker Star" $140 ea - http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_94092_-1

I'm still running drums in the rear and discs up front with an all stock suspension up front. I will be upgrading that soon, probably just new springs, shocks, the G mod, bigger sway and poly mounts/bushings. Oh and drivetrain is LT1 and Richmond 6-Speed ('96 is still an iron block 350 and tranny weighs roughly the same as a T56). I'd like the stance to stay as it is, that is about 1" drop front and 1 1/2" rear I think?

Any advice? Thanks!

Adam

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Lowering your car, Raises the rear axle. If you used lowering blocks, your shocks stayed in the same place. If you have different springs, your shock is compressed more, so you would want shorter shocks. :) I am currently replacing my KYB's as they are to stiff.

·
Registered
993 Posts
i have chris alston's adjustable varishocks, quickset one. they are pricey, but you can't beat 'em. you can adjust them quicker than your wife's mood adjusts when she sees the greasy hand towel you left in the bathroom!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.