Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eventually I'll get around to installing the replacement 8.5" 10-Bolt '72 Nova rear. I have a set of Hotchkis 1.5" springs, shackles, etc. and since I'm going from mono leaf to multi, new shocks are in the picture. I have no intention of racing the car at the drags or autocross, but I like a nice firm suspension. Already have Hotchkis 2" springs in the front. So I'm wondering what shocks would complement the Hotchkis leafs using the "Soft Shocks, Stiff Springs" mantra? Adjustable or not? So you cruiser guys...what have you used with Hotchkis leafs and what was your honest opinion? Did you stagger them or put them both behind the axle? If you had/have a 69 with these springs, how did/does your car sit? What about shock mounting plates?

Mike

·
Registered
637 Posts
Mike, I used Hotchkis springs front and back, with Bilstein shocks all around- staggered in the rear, DSE shock plates. I'm happy with this setup and see no reason to change. Simon
side.jpg

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Simon... Good info and nice stance. Was there a specific model on the Bilsteins, and were they adjustable? I want to keep the same basic stance I have now, maybe drop the front 1/2".
IMG_8927.jpg

·
Registered
637 Posts
The Bilstein's I have are the yellow ones and are not adjustable, mono tube design. They do make a drag race version colored black.
If you're looking for adjustability I would look at Ridetech also Hotchkis has shocks as well made by Fox, more expensive though.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking for opinions of people with Hotchkis springs and whatever brand shocks work best for a nice cruiser ride, yet not too mushy. As noted above, the car gets driven not raced. If you've used Hotchkis shocks with their 1.5" drop springs give me the pros/cons. I've heard Hotchkis shocks are pretty stiff, but maybe that's older versions?

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Save your money and go with Delcos, Gabriel or Monroe. I can't tell the difference between the Gabriels and Hotchkis on 2 different cars except my wallet. . . . .just an old guy talkin from 60 years experience and 37 F bodies later

·
Registered
252 Posts
I switched from gas charged shocks (don't recall the brand) to the Hotchkis 1.5 street shocks, they took away the hard hit bouncing the stuff in the trunk issue. This is with non Hotchkis springs though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts