Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 Camaro. I have put rear shocks on and they have broken on the drivers side once and on the passenger side twice. They break at the bottom of the shock where the mounting lug is. The mount welds to the bottom of the shock and the weld is what breaks. These are $45 shocks from O'Reilly that are supposedly spec'ed for a 1968 Camaro. I have just ordered some Hotchkis rears that cost $140 but I am worried that I will end up with broken expensive shocks. The Hotchkis shocks look like they are a much sturdier construction.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. The leaf springs look original and not sure if old springs could cause this or of there is something else I am missing.

Thanks,

Henry

·
19,839 Posts
Are you using the mono or multi spring version shocks and what springs do you have ?

Sounds like you have the wrong shock since they are 2 different lengths I believe ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what you mean by mono or multi spring shocks. The car has 4-leaf springs on each side. I think these are original. I purchased Monroe gas shocks from O'Reilly and they have broken twice. Before I change out the Monroe shocks for the Hotchkis ones, I want to know if there is something I am missing? Are there spacers that go between the shock and the mount plate below the axle? I think my mount plates are correct. Would old leaf springs cause undue loading on the shocks? Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I think what Doug is asking, is did you get the right shocks for your 4 leaf spring setup
Monroe Shock Absorber - Rear

Click to Enlarge

(Read reviews)

Our List Price:
$17.98

Quantity:

(2) In Stock

Part Number: 14021-03500032

Notes: Monro-Matic Plus Shock Absorber -- With Single Leaf Rear Spring

Position: Rear

Condition: New
Monroe Shock Absorber - Rear