Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi....Does anybody reproduce the (8) studs that screw into the rear spoiler of a 69? Thank You

·
Retired
16,053 Posts
Im not sure if Ive seen them repro'd but I used some from Ace Hardware, one end is threaded for the nut, the other end is screw threads for going into an old spoiler hole that maybe was cracked and filled with putty, hardened and then drilled out. They are called 'hanger bolt' :)

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I was planning to use those, but changed my mind. First, I was concerned about self tapping the screw end. Second, the self tap end on any one I ever found is longer than you can safely install into the hole without punching out through the spoiler. I was going to hog out the hole into a conical shape and fill with epoxy, then screw in the cut off studs while the epoxy was still soft. But as I said, I changed my mind.

Original studs are 1/4" thread on both ends. so I think the wood screw end of the Ace Hardware ones is too aggressive for that small area. There's alot of tensile stress on that little part, even without enlarging the hole.

If you are interested, I wrote a long explanation of how I kept the strain off the spoiler about 4-5 years ago. Do a search. It was a little complicated, but it transferred all the strain from tightening the spoiler to the deck lid onto push-on clips I added to the studs.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I had the same problem. I had several "rusty" ones in the spoiler. I took a rusty one to a tool and die shop and had them make me a set out of stainless to match the originals. Cost was around $35 but worth it. They will never rust and are a perfect fit. No cobbling. I am also very anal.

·
Premium Member
10,083 Posts
I have the same dilemna. I was planing on using JB weld with the original studs. The holes still have threads, but are a little loose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.