Team Camaro Tech banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
It may be someone has put leaf springs from a late model (72-74 I think) Nova under your car.
The Nova springs are longer and will raise the rear end as it appears your car is higher than stock. They will bolt in, but are a bear to bend to install. Measure the length of the springs and compare to stock.
Also check the eyes at the front of the spring as others have suggested - very common failure.

·
14,472 Posts
Betting the springs are wrong. The car was sitting too high so the PO used the big lowering blocks to get ride height. This would probably also make the shocks too short.

The correct way to resolve this issue is to replace the springs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Investigation so far..... Multi leaf rear springs. Two completely different lowering blocks used. One about 1/2" on the driver side. One about 2" on the passenger side. Removing the springs and installing a mono spring. Have the drive shaft out. I did not see any issues with the drive shaft. Have ordered my 700R4 and rear gears. Debating on a Posi. Not sure i'll need it but seriously considering it. Shocks look ok. Won't have a final answer on those until I get the springs on and make a determination. Floor for this car appears to have been completely replace. The install is really nice including the trunk.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Good shocks will make a world of difference. An adjustable shock will let you tune for the best handling and ride.
Koni and Bilstien make a some real nice ones. Steer clear of the KYB crap.

This is a Ridetech composite spring (monoleaf) with Viking double adjustable shocks.

1610422358113.jpeg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you check the front pocket bolts where the leaf spring attaches?
my buddy's firebird lost a couple bolts and he said it was acting weird in the back, that's the first place I checked and found the issue.

other than that, it should handle fine with fresh shocks all around and good springs front and back, front bushings in good shape.

What does restored mean? was that what the dealer said, or what the private seller said ?

From the attached picture, that wheel does not look even close to centered in the wheel well.
I own a 1968 Camaro, rate 350 engine. Tubular suspension. I just installed a tubular front endowed shocks front and back and new leaf springs. Looking at a new teams, drive shaft and posi rear end kit. My trans is stock minciM20 so first gear is 2.43. Rear end im
Mot sure yet. I think a 355 should work well

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I ventured into buying a restored 67 Coupe. It's a basic SBC V8 with a Powerglide, PB, PS and A/C. The car appears to have been put together well. I said appears.
The car drives well and the steering is great, even better than I remember from previously owned early F-Bodies I have owned. My issue is the rear suspension. It almost feels dangerous. On the highway I have no issues. On the city streets with bumps, dips, humps it is terrible. So bad I don't want to drive it. The rear all appears new. Multi leaf spring and the shocks appear new.

The car currently has a ride height I want to maintain. Not too low. My driveway is a bear to navigate. View attachment 270508

My plan is to run a 17" Rally Wheel with 4" bs and a 225/45/17 up front and a 225/50/17 in the rear.

The tires are dated on these 14" existing rims.

View attachment 270509

I don't want this car to be a pro touring car. I just wanted it to be a classic Camaro that I can drive as much as possible.

Am I crazy to think the the suspension issue is in my head because I am use to modern cars and other classics I own that drive much better?
I am looking for any advise on how to proceed with this rear suspension issue. Do I simply replace the shocks? Do I replace the leaf spring. Both?

Any advice would be appreciated.
I’ve got mono leaf on the 67 and multi leaf on my 68 because it came with a 12 bolt. There is a ride difference between the 2.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
I own a 1968 Camaro, rate 350 engine. Tubular suspension. I just installed a tubular front endowed shocks front and back and new leaf springs. Looking at a new teams, drive shaft and posi rear end kit. My trans is stock minciM20 so first gear is 2.43. Rear end im
Mot sure yet. I think a 355 should work well
Okay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Installed the 3.55's & new Posi this morning. The gear oil looked new. Mono leaf springs are sitting on the floor. I am going to get this all back together in the new few weeks, Waiting on a transmission from Phoenix. Then I'll measure how much I need to cut on this driveshaft. Trying to do multiple projects underneath. Wheels and tires showed up today. I won't know about ride height until I can get this back on the ground and see what the mono leaf gives me.....initially. I expect the mono leaf to settle some eventually.

·
Premium Member
3,980 Posts
I'm wondering why you feel those springs could be OK.
The car has multi leafs on it now. He got a set of mono leafs to go on it now. They are a different set.

Reactions: jimsl78 and AG81

·
20,000 Posts
On the city streets with bumps, dips, humps it is terrible. So bad I don't want to drive it
What are you feeling that makes you feel it's bad ?
Rear wondering/swaying ?
Just the feel of the ride ?
?????????

Looks like some old BFG's on there, have you tried to see it you could borrow a pair from a buddy to see if it still rides the same way ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
What are you feeling that makes you feel it's bad ?
Rear wondering/swaying ?
Just the feel of the ride ?
?????????

Looks like some old BFG's on there, have you tried to see it you could borrow a pair from a buddy to see if it still rides the same way ?
Doug the tires are crap....10 years old based on the date code. I got my new tires and wheels today. It will be a while
before I can try anything. I've got the power glide on the ground and waiting on Phoenix to finish my 700R4.

I'll get it all back together within a month and see how it rides with a mono spring, good shocks and quality tires.

Thank you

·
11,409 Posts
I'll get it all back together within a month and see how it rides with a mono spring, good shocks and quality tires.

Thank you
FYI, I have monos and one of the things I did to help with lateral movement is to swap the rear shackle bushings with poly. I think they helped. I stuck with rubber 'spring to rear' isolators to keep ride soft :) Luck!

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
Changing the 10 year olds tires is definitely a good idea. Also the car is 50+ yrs old, every suspension piece should be made in the last decade or so, body bushing start coming apart and get squashed.
Basically , a good suspension tuneup is a good idea. Bushings,springs,shocks, steering gear and linkage, tie rods etc... stuff times out. I’m sure it will handle well when it’s had a tune up.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts