Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68 convertible that I am in the process of restoring and have the folowing questions. Did this car come with a factory installed rear sway bar? Doaes the subframe require additional strengthening other than stock?

·
Registered
84 Posts
The 68 did not come factory equiped with rear sway bar. This was only available as special equipment over the Chevy parts counter for Z/28's, etc., for better handling on road race courses. Sub frame connectors are not needed for normal useage. Many drag racers and hot street cars use them to keep the body from "flexing", due to high HP and torque. Your convertable should have an extra "x" type brace under the floorboard to help prevent body flex, due to the car not having a hardtop for structural ridigity.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I have a 69 conv and have looked at these areas, too. You do not need a rear sway bar. In fact, it can generate unwanted oversteer. However, subframe connectors can be a worthwhile benefit depending on your driving. I personally feel they are a worthwhile improvement for the added body rigidity. You should also ensure your body mount bushings are in top shape. I found mine to be rotted out as well as the subframe holes they mount in. This necessitated welding repair plates in, installing new bushings ( solid ones ). I already had welded connectors that I had to cut the welds to the floor and then reweld but that's a story in and of itself! I think anything that contributes to the structural stiffness is helpful. You can research this here doing a search as well as also visiting websites such as Global West's, Art Rasmussen's, etc. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts