Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the car back on the road after a few months and I notice that it has a vibration that it did not have before. It seemed like it was coming form the rear so I jacked it up and found that the rear u joint has play side to side. I don't know if it was there before but it did not vibrate before either. It feels and sounds like I'm driving across small speeed bumps. Should the u joint have 3/16" play side to side or do I need a new one?

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
:eek: The U-joint should have NO noticeable side play. :eek:
Are you sure when you reinstalled it you got the ends down into the registers on the yoke? Can you see runout in the drive shaft?
If the U-joint was okay before you started you may want to remove the straps/caps, check to be sure all the bearings are still in place and reinstall the u-joint in the yoke and check again.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
523 Posts
Dan-my 69 is exactly the same-the u-joint slides back and forth in the pinion yoke,no matter how much I tighten the straps.I even replaced the yoke a few years back but got the same result.I posted about it a few years back and someone suggested I had the wrong u-joint in there. I've since gotten a listing of u-joint dimensions (which I'll gladly share,just shoot me an e-mail).The rear end is currently out of the car,my plan is to address this issue when I put it back in.I thought,at worst case,I could make up a shim for either side of the u-joint to take up the slack in the yoke.When rolling slowly with the clutch dissengaged,I can actually hear the driveshaft flopping from side to side! As you might expect the car has a wicked vibration in the driveline at speed. If you learn anything more,please post here or e-mail me directly.
Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vintage, I removed the drive shaft and sure enough there some broken needles in the cups. I did have the cups in between the registers as you mentioned.

I went form a P/G to a M 20 and when I put the drive shaft back in I had to remove the cups to get the drive shaft into the yoke and then install the cups. I do not remember if I had to remove the cups when I took the d/s out. Is this to tight for the d/s?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.