Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear view mirror for my 69 convert needs some help. Everything on it cleaned up very well except the mirror itself. I hate to spend $60(I'm cheap) on a repro mirror when all I need is to replace the glass.

Anyone have any experience replacing the mirror itself? Or am I doomed to buying a whole new assembly?

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Wow, I just got on, to ask almost the same question. I removed the mirror from a couple of units, and had them sent out for resilver. One came back great, the other came back horrible. It was resilvered, but you could see the original discoloration.
Well, I was at a swap meet on the Fourth, and picked up a maplight Rearview mirror. It needs resilver, but I don't want to use the same guy.

Anyone know where I might send it to get it resilvered?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Use a hair dryer to soften up the housing and then use a plastic putty knife. Once you get the knife started in one spot, gently run around the perimeter until the glass pops out.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK....Where can you get a new piece of glass for it? After you get the new glass do you need to glue the rubber back in or is it a press fit?

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
The rubber surround has a lip that the glass fits into. I looked online today, and found a place that will resilver a car mirror for $32.00 I forget the company name, but do a search fir "resilver mirror" If you want to give up the day/night feature, you can get a mirror at any glass place. I'm holding out for a good replacement. I traced the outline of the mirror, today and stuck it in my wallet. I'll look in a junkyard for a late model mirror, that is "close" then I'll take it to a glass shop, and have it ground to the correct shape.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I asked this question several months ago and someone on here also suggested trying antique shops, since they do a lot of old mirrors.

------------------
Kevin

68 Camaro SS - 383, Edlebrock Performer RPM, Trick Flow 23 degree heads, edlebrock 750cfm carb, dynomax headers, Tremec TKO, 4.10 Posi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts