Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the older style Monroe air shocks with mono-leafs for my '67 vert--10 bolt rear, and after carrying a heavy load in trunk and adding some air I noticed persistent noise-hi pitched squeeking which varies with rpm. This comes from driver rear wheel and dissappears at higher rpm's. Wheel bearings goin' bad? ?? What should I do to further diagnose?

·
Super Moderator
32,358 Posts
It could be the rear axle bearing, but bearing noises are usually a rumble than a high pitch squeal or squeak.

If it is a squeak, it might be a spring shackle bushing having gotten twisted alittle more with the load applied earlier.

A fix would be to loosen the shackle bolts with the car on the ground, then tighten them back up.

A better fix is to loosen the shackle to where it almost comes off, and lube the bushing to shackle bar interface with silicone grease. Then, tighten the shackles back up with the weight of the car on the ground.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks E #2390 will try this soon---it seems the noise dissapears at speeds +26~30mph. So the flexing upon bushing at load+speed could be it.:hurray::noway:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
>>>>to describe the squeek noise further---it cycles and drops in pitch with tire revolution; as if each full revolution is announced by the squeek. No, it is not a loose trim ring (14" wheels are rallys). ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts