Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My rear windows have a cap covering the window crank stud. I can't see the typical "clip" that would hold on a normal window crank. Gently prying does not get them off and I don't want to force anything.

Was there a rear window up/down crank delete offered on some cars?

Car does have a rear fold down seat.

I wanted to see if the rear windows were operational.

Is there a specific removal procedure for these caps?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,723 Posts
I've never seen that before and I suspect your rear quarter glass should function open and closed. I've never heard of an early Camaro that doesn't.

Probably the black plug is pushed over the stud the window crank attaches to. I would try to gently pry it off.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume the cover plug is just a cosmetic cover....just does not want to come off.

I hesitate to use more force

Tried to pop out center thinking there is a screw holding the outer cover to spline...does not appear

My guess is it is a interference fit pressed over the spline of the crank post

IDK why PO pulled the handles...unless regulators are dead and he has wedged the class to stay up

Rear handles do not interfere with the path of fold down seat

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Maybe the 'plug' is secured to the regulator spline shaft like a normal handle would, so you would need the window crank clip tool.

Mike

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe the 'plug' is secured to the regulator spline shaft like a normal handle would, so you would need the window crank clip tool.

Mike
I assumed it was attached that way and I have the tool and I have removed several window handles with it.

This cover does not have the typical window crank clip

I can pull it about 1/8" away from panel, and push panel in some and look behind it, there is no clip securing it that I can see

I did find window crank plugs that would cover the hole in door panel if one switched over to electric windows. Those have tabs you bend behind the door panel to secure. These do not have any tabs like that. They are on the window crank post

using excessive pry force, BFH or dermal to cut them off is not something I want to do.

Weird but I must be missing something on how these are attached other than a interference fit that is quite tight on the window crank post stud

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI

The caps were held on with a "C" type clip vs the standard horseshoe one with the flared ends the tool can contact and push against. The normal tool would just slide over the C clip as the ends went "in" the slot on the plug

I used a small R angle pick tip to hook under the C clip and pull it out.

One window stopped about 1/3 of the way down so I assume there is a issue with the regulator It did crank back up and is tight closed. I will pull the rear panels and look closer. Maybe just cleaning/grease will free them up.

My sense is PO had issues with the rear windows working so pulled handles and capped them off

While the regulators may be rusty, IDK until I get panels off, I doubt that as the front door ones are in very good original condition. Car was a AZ car and I have found zero rust anywhere and have looked extensively inside doors, under dash where A pillar meets, trunk, interior floor pan inside & out. It's just a great example of a dry weather car that appears to have spent its life garaged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts