Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a gear supplier that will cut a custom gear set for you ? I am looking for a 3.42 Ratio that will work for my 12-bolt 4 series carrier.

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock , hooker, ultradyne cam, stewart,
TRW etc.
Vintage Air (not yet installed)
700R4 TPI transmission

·
Retired
16,053 Posts
TJ post your question in the Engine and Driveline section, Im sure plenty of guys will see it there that have some input. Especially Big Gear Head one of our resident gear experts. He really knows that stuff inside out.
good luck
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1, Balanced, TRW forged pistons, .30 over, TH-350 auto.,
Dover White,Blue Vinyl top, F&R spoilers,pdb, close ratio ps,am/fm,3.08 Posi., A/C, fold down rear seat
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS

·
Registered
797 Posts
TJS69,
I no not believe that a 3.42 gear will ever work on your 4 series carrier. The reason is that the flange that the ring gear bolts to is too close to the pinion. As you go numerically lower, the pinion gear gets larger. With a 3.42 the pinion gear will be almost touching the flange on the carrier-even before the ring gear is bolted on. So, to answer your question, NO, I don't think there is a company that CAN grind you a custom set of gears to work on your 4 series carrier.

You would be better served by selling your 4 series carrier, and then buying a 3 series. As you may know, you can always run 4 series gears 3.90 & up, with a ring gear spacer on your 3 series carrier. You CANNOT however run 3 series gears on a 4 series carrier.

------------------
1969 Camaro SS 350-383ci., T-56, 12 bolt, Eaton posi, 3.31 gears, 4 wheel disc, Deluxe black houndstooth interior, rear window defogger, tilt steering, console w/AutoMeter gauge package, center mntd. clock, Tach.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.