Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hate to ask this but would like to know if you was putting a 9 inch ford rearend in 69 camaro is there one you could use by just welding perches on ford rearend & what year would it come from i want a 12 bolt but they are a little steep thought i might get a 9 inch ford cheaper since my friend has a junkyard of fords & they are a tough setup

·
Registered
115 Posts
As always do a search, but that being said the early Mustangs and some of the Fairlanes are pretty close. I used a Fairlane in mine. I had the axles and drums drilled to Chevy so I could use a common spare and had a new set of spring perches welded on. I completely replaced all of the brake pieces. I paid $200 for the rear, from a friend, and probably have another $300 in it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a bunch zz-28 my friend has quite a few fords of early years i am pretty sure he has one just didnt know what would come close to fitting width wise i did search but couldnt find any thing may not of looked in right place you guys are great always someone will give you good information its a lot easier to get someone to help you if they have been there& done it & thanks again

·
Registered
288 Posts
Anthon, it's been a long time... But I believe that a 69 Mustang's rear is the correct length! I remember picking one up for my 67 and never getting around to installing it! I loaned it to a fellow racer and it got destroyed. (Hill climbing) not failure.

Good luck

------------------
1967 Prostreet Camaro
402cid BBC TH 400 w/4,500 stall 4:56 gears,narrowed and tubbed... Well almost
http://www.visionworks-usa.com/camaro

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks 67 prostreet tiis will save me lots of time looking lot easier to find what will work when someone else has already done it

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
Seems like all the early Mustang and other Ford rears would be just as scarce and sought after as the GM stuff. Maybe even more since they're being put in GM cars. Just an opinion.

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)

·
Registered
417 Posts
I think the 67 and 68 Mustangs will fit. If I remember correctly there is only like 1/4 or 1/2 inch diff in spring purch spacing that could be taken up by the slack in the bushings on each end of the springs. I read it in mag several years back. Be careful before you pull a rear from one of these 'stangs cause they also had 8.5 rears.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Anthony,
I found what you need today. I found a 9" Ford that had been in a Camaro with a nodular case, Daytona pinion housing, Moser axles, Traction Lock, and 3.73 or 3.89 gears.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

[This message has been edited by big gear head (edited 12-11-2001).]

·
Registered
297 Posts
I agree, rojo....have a good friend who is a blue oval guy (Mustangs) through and through, and he says it is near impossible to find a Ford 9" that isn't from a truck (so it doesn't need to be narrowed for car duty). At least that's the way it is around this area of the country.... He is currently building an 84 Mustang LX (original 4 cylinder car) with a Police Interceptor 460 big block and C6 auto. Also has a stroked 302 (377 I think???) ina 91 (I think) with a 290hp shot of N2O, transbrake etc, that runs in the low 6s in the 1/8 (that car is ungodly to ride in - never been thrown back in the seat in any car like that one!!!!!). Both these cars have 8.5" rears, which hold up just fine.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone

My 1967 Camaro

[This message has been edited by jrt67ss350 (edited 12-11-2001).]

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks big gear head but my friend who has a junkyard of fords said he had several out of 68-71 fairlanes & granadas he said he would let me have one for a couple hundred dollars
said gears was 323&355 posi so ill probaly get one from him save a lot on shipping but thanks a lot to all who has helped me

·
Registered
204 Posts
I can check the measurement the next time I'm in the shop, but I just pulled one from a Montego and it was the right width. Never measured the spring perches, but I will.

Robb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts