Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Z28 Camaro
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to either rebuild the muncie 4 speed or buy a 5 speed. Just curious on thoughts of others.

I have a 350 sbc. Main drive gear or 4th gear (I'm not a mechanic) pops out of gear when I let off the gas pedal. So I was going refesh the transmission.

·
13,743 Posts
IMHO the very best thing you can do to improve a 1st Gen is to install an OD tranny.

TKO600 .64 or an Auto 200R4 (hard to find) or a 700R4

Reactions: dyno jonn

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
If you are happy with the performance the way it is then rebuild the Muncie. If you are not happy with the highway RPMs or you want a little more power from a stop then you might want to look at a 5 speed. There are after market gear ratios available for the Muncie that can change the performance if it.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
It will cost you more to upgrade to a 5 speed than it will to rebuild the 4 speed, but the five speed will take the car to a different level of drivability. The gear ratio's in the TKO 600 are also numerically higher than even the M20 which will also give you more torque multiplication down low as well as better acceleration. You will also be able to keep up with traffic with the overdrive of the TKO. It is a worth while investment if you can afford to do it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
A rebuilt kit for a Muncie is fairly cheap $150-$200. If you have someone else do the work the price goes up quite a bit. But that is obviously your cheapest option. If you want OD with your Muncie you can swap out the tail shaft with a gear vendor tail shaft that gives you OD. But it is expensive and you have to modify your driveshaft. For basically the same price you can get a 5 speed ($3K). It really depends on what you want to do with the car and what your budget is.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Its all a matter of how much you want to spend and what you want to do with the car, as others have stated are you happy with it now? The cheapest and simplest solution is to rebuild the muncie. If you want over drive and a modern transmission switch to a 5 speed. I have had several rebuilt an finally bought am Autogear M-22 wide ratio. The deeper first gear is nice for take off. 5 speeds are nice and many kits re available. Good Luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
The single biggest improvement I did to drivability on my car was the switch from M22 to TKO600. Not cheap, but worth it.

Reactions: Matt 69

·
Registered
315 Posts
Synchros. Had same issue with mine. Had it rebuilt. Love it around town and backroads. Hate it on the highway. 3:55 rear and screams too much for my liking. I should have went with a tko500 or the 600. Lesson learned. It’s on my list for the future but I rarely drive on the highway. If you do any highway driving get it now.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
I was going to send my Muncie to Jody's transmission and my shiftier to Hurst for rebuild.

Jody talked me out of it, even though he was losing money on the rebuild. He said sell it and put the money towards a stronger TKO 600. Which is exactly what I did,
but I didn't have a basic 350 either.

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
I liked the seat of the pants feel with my old Muncie. First and second gear were awesome. Third and fourth felt the same as each other. I have a 3.73 in my 12 bolt. I wanted drivability but wanted it to look stock too. I bought a TKO 600 from Silver Sport. I'm using my original bell housing, clutch disk "fine spline ", and my original shifter handle. "No hydraulic clutch". I got offset dowels for the housing , used their cross member, and driveshaft. I could have done the job in around 2 hours if I didn't have to wait on the offset dowels. Never looking back at the Muncie.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I plan to go with a TKO 500. My 68 has 3.55 rear - Muncie 4 speed - 350SBC. I think the lower first gear (3.27) would be best for the 350. If I had more hp, I would go with the TKO600 with .64 5th.

·
Registered
564 Posts
You should look at quite a few parts when rebuilding a Muncie, its not just a bearing kit and you're done. Front bearing retainer, torque loc sliders, 1-2nd, 3-4th shift forks, even the gears themselves and sometimes the main case has to be bushed where the countershaft sits. A press comes in handy if you're inclined to try to rebuild. Do it once do it right cause its a pain to re & re cause something was overlooked.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I need to either rebuild the muncie 4 speed or buy a 5 speed. Just curious on thoughts of others.

I have a 350 sbc. Main drive gear or 4th gear (I'm not a mechanic) pops out of gear when I let off the gas pedal. So I was going refesh the transmission.
Been a long time since my last post. Long story. Muncies are like Harley's. If you can keep oil in them they last forever. Classic cause of popping out of 4th gear on deceleration is a mis-aligned bell housing. There are other causes but I'd check the bell housing before I spend any money. On the 5 speed there's no doubt the overdrive is a major upgrade. Depending on rear end ratio there are 3 to choose from.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think I'd go with the TKO. Having overdrive is underrated in these cars. My plan is to go with a 6 speed, but even a 5 speed would be perfect. BUT, I'd hang onto the muncie still, if it were me. Just in case you want to take it back to stock.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I went from a M21 to a Tremec Magnum 6 speed close ratio matched up to a 396 3.73 rear and 27.1” rear tires. I was considering the TKO 600 but went with the 6 speed because of the overdrive ratios.
5th gear 0.80 and 6th gear 0.63 Cruising down the highway at 55 mph In 5th gear 2036 rpm and
at 75 mph in 6th gear 2186 rpm.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I went from a M21 to a Tremec Magnum 6 speed close ratio matched up to a 396 3.73 rear and 27.1” rear tires. I was considering the TKO 600 but went with the 6 speed because of the overdrive ratios.
5th gear 0.80 and 6th gear 0.63 Cruising down the highway at 55 mph In 5th gear 2036 rpm and
at 75 mph in 6th gear 2186 rpm.
The 5 speed will bolt right in but the 6 speed will require some floor modifications. Some people care and some don't about cutting the floor. The TKO 5009 has a .64 overdrive and you get nearly the same final drive rpm as the 11009 6 speed .63. Both are good choices but the 6 speed does shift very smooth.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 5 speed will bolt right in but the 6 speed will require some floor modifications. Some people care and some don't about cutting the floor. The TKO 5009 has a .64 overdrive and you get nearly the same final drive rpm as the 11009 6 speed .63. Both are good choices but the 6 speed does shift very smooth.
The six speed required no modifications or cutting to the tunnel or floor in my car whatsoever. The one issue I personal had with the 5 speed would be the transition from 4th gear 1.00 ratio to 5th gear .064 ratio. Big rpm drop depending on what rear setup you have Both are indeed good transmissions.

·
13,743 Posts
The six speed required no modifications or cutting to the tunnel or floor in my car whatsoever. The one issue I personal had with the 5 speed would be the transition from 4th gear 1.00 ratio to 5th gear .064 ratio. Big rpm drop depending on what rear setup you have Both are indeed good transmissions.
It is extremely rare to be able to install a T56 without tunnel mods and still retain proper driveline angle from my experience

·
Registered
26 Posts
It is extremely rare to be able to install a T56 without tunnel mods and still retain proper driveline angle from my experience
I bought the 6 speed magnum and complete install kit through Silver Sport Transmission. I did question them about fitment issues and they told me I would not have to do any mods or cutting on the car. He was right in my case. It’s been in the car for almost 4 years and no driveline problems or vibrations yet. I did have it professionally installed. I have read that the older T56 trans swaps had fitment issues.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
I bought the 6 speed magnum and complete install kit through Silver Sport Transmission. I did question them about fitment issues and they told me I would not have to do any mods or cutting on the car. He was right in my case. It’s been in the car for almost 4 years and no driveline problems or vibrations yet. I did have it professionally installed. I have read that the older T56 trans swaps had fitment issues.
Does your car have a “ Raked “ look ?
My buddy has a 68 with a 6 speed. No way he can get the rear end down without cutting the tunnel. He runs 335 out back and can’t get it level with a decent angle without mods to the tunnel.
If you're cool with the stink bug rear; it’s all good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts