Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its pretty much a stock 350 with 3500 stall, mild cam, edelbrock II intake, headers and stage 2 shift kit.. the 4 barrel is due for upgrade.. should I replace it or have it rebuilt.. it hesitates feeding the fuel when you punch it. I've been told too put on a 650 holly. what do you think? thanks all

·
Registered
348 Posts
There is no such thing as a good quadracrap. Get a Holley or Edelbrock. I would go at least 700 cfm for that motor.

------------------
57 Plymouth Savoy in my family since new, just cosmetically restored, 93 S-10 waiting on the 50 Dodge truck to be built then one s_10 for sale, Angie's mechanic and designated Vette cusser.

·
Registered
230 Posts
What's the numbers off of it - I love Q-Jets - I'd might be willing to take off your hands

Steve

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think the Q-Jet is a great carb.
Here is a link about rebuilding for performance info: http://www.dapa.org/frazier.htm The site is pontiac oriented, but the info is good. But before you blame the carb, make sure the ignition, etc. is good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had the car in storage for the past 2years. I recently moved about an 18 hour drive from where I store it and am presently arranging to have it shipped to my new address... long story short.. I don't know the numbers off hand but from the replies I got I since checked out the suggested link and liked what I read.. I think I'll be checking the carb out a little more thoroughly before I get rid of it. thanks <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dobek:
What's the numbers off of it - I love Q-Jets - I'd might be willing to take off your hands

Steve
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
23 Posts
Get the numbers off the carb ( main body, driver side ), get your self a rebuild kit, a couple of cans of 2+2 and do a rebuild. Quads are a go carb and if set up right will out preform a holly. I have used both and if I had my choice would run the quad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. I hope to have the car back home in the next month.. I will definitely be doing the rebuild. Will there only be one kit that will match the numbers? <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GEAR HEAD:
Get the numbers off the carb ( main body, driver side ), get your self a rebuild kit, a couple of cans of 2+2 and do a rebuild. Quads are a go carb and if set up right will out preform a holly. I have used both and if I had my choice would run the quad.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
230 Posts
Darn, thought I might get another Q-Jet...

couple of things -

1 - there is a book by a guy named ROE that is EVERYTHING you would ever want to know about Q-jets - - I got mine at Barnes & Noble - GREAT reference book - written with the novice in mind.

2 - there are subtle differences between the years - so you want to get the rebuild kit specifically for your carb - so take the numbers and get the right kit (#'s will look like 7027202 or 17044217) - you can actually decode the number and see what car it was originally for - ie: 7027202 is a '67 camaro 350 - automatic - non-CA smog)

Rebuilding it is relatively simple - Roe book helps - just start with a clean workbench - some patience - and a pot full of carb cleaner.

There are a lot of small delicate parts - DON'T force anything - when reassembling.

Lot's of very knowledgeable people here - they have helped me a bunch with my Q-jet.

Have fun!

Steve

PS. my last rebuild kit cost $20 (US) - so it's not an expensive prospect.

[This message has been edited by Dobek (edited 08-10-2001).]

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Has there been a second addition of the Doug Roe Qjet book mine is almost 30 years old and doesn't cover anything after 1973.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Copyright 1981 - says "revised edition" -

Contents:
Chpt 1 - How your carb works
Chpt 2 - engine air/fuel requirements
Chpt 3 - past & present rochesters
Chpt 4 - quadrajet designs
Chpt 5 - quadrajet service
Chpt 6 - select & install your carburetor
Chpt 7 - high performance carburetion
Chpt 8 - tuning tips
Chpt 9 - emissions control
metric conversions
index

176 pages with index.... price printed on book $17.95

Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
the carb you hsve is probaly better than than any holley 650 you can buy. people call them quadra-crap, quadra-bog, and aloy of other dumb names because they dont know how to use them, anybody can slap on a holley, and make fun of a quadrajet, it takes a real man to learn how to build one that will kick a holleys *** any day. isnt a 3500 stall alittle much? horrable high way rpms.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The shop that built my tranny said it was a 2800-3500 stall con. does that sound right? they said it would work well with what I had. Some of my buddies have their work done there so I trusted what they advised... I was 18 at the time and didn't really know alot about the mechanical workings of cars ... come to think I still don't know alot about it!? <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ugly 83:
the carb you hsve is probaly better than than any holley 650 you can buy. people call them quadra-crap, quadra-bog, and aloy of other dumb names because they dont know how to use them, anybody can slap on a holley, and make fun of a quadrajet, it takes a real man to learn how to build one that will kick a holleys *** any day. isnt a 3500 stall alittle much? horrable high way rpms.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by Baerit (edited 08-11-2001).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts