Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to shell out $500 to a transmission shop to rebuild my 2 speed powerglide. Will I like it when finished? I have never owned a powerglide and am unsure of what to expect. I can replace the 2 speed with a 3 speed for $300 more. What do you think?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi Gambler
$500.00 sounds awful high for a powerglide rebuild- is that for removing and reinstallation labor as well or just the rebuild? If it includes the labor it's probably ok but if that's for a rebuild only you should shop around.
If you want to kep the car all original glides aren't all that bad, I drove my 67 with a glide for years. A 3 speed is definitely nicer to have, and you should be able to pick up a rebuilt TH350 for about $500.00 or less. If you have a couple of buddies to help you it's a fairly easy job to swap trannies.
Powerglides are getting harder to find, maybe you could work out some sort of swap deal with a trans shop? Pay for the 350 and trade the glide for labor? Good luck- Pete

------------------
68 Camaro 355/TH400/3.73
69 Nova 355/TH350/4.88
69 Firebird 400 ragtop
71 Firebird 350
00 Standard Trails 250

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
I priced a TH350 awhile back from Advance Auto with converter was $375.00 plus core. Accurate Transmissions supplies them. I have installed one of their C6 trans. in my Bronco and have been well pleased with it. Just another option for you.

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)

[This message has been edited by rojo (edited 02-01-2001).]

·
Registered
45 Posts
You get what you pay for....PERIOD!!!!!
Bruce
WE4

------------------
Thank You
WE4
Bruce Toelle
Performance Transmissions
"WE GOT THE 2004R PARTS!"
www.ptsnctb.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
177 Posts
Bruce you are right, it just sounds a little high to me. Lots of guys around here run glides in their race cars, and they're getting race prepped trannies for $700.00 to $800.00, so I would imagine a stock glide should be a lot less. I had my TH350 fully done with heavy duty sprags and clutches, a Trans Go kit and the converter gone through for $485.00 by a very reputable shop who guaranteed their work, knowing full well what I'll be putting it through. Now granted I did the r & r myself so I didn't have to pay for labor, but I wouldn't think a stock rebuild on a powerglide would be that much, and I certainly can't see a stock TH350 even with r & r being $800.00. I'm not in the trans business, and I know you are and that you are very well respected, so maybe there's something about a glide rebuild I don't know. In any case that's just my 2 cents- Pete

------------------
68 Camaro 355/TH400/3.73
69 Nova 355/TH350/4.88
69 Firebird 400 ragtop
71 Firebird 350
00 Standard Trails 250

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a th350 i rebuilt myself..had never
done it before..bought a rebuild manual and went for it...the tranny works fine, it was a fun project...and not that difficult at all.
maybe you should think about doing it yourself...

·
Registered
278 Posts
I had my Powerglide rebuilt for a total of $400, but that included an ATI manual valve body, steel clutch hub, and all new clutchpacks/steels, among other little parts. For a stock rebuild that is very high.

------------------
68 Camaro 396 powerglide 3.73posi
Soon to be daily driver
[email protected]

·
Retired
26,753 Posts
What's in your car now Gambler? I assume it's not a PG. Is this your core being rebuilt? Or the cost for a new rebuilt trans? As far as prices go, Parts is parts. Performance parts are a bit more expensive but the labor to rebuild stock vrs performance should be about the same unless the builder has custom mods! Labor charges also very from city to city... I bet I would be charged twice in Los Gatos what WE4 charges in Sac for the same job...

I have seen rebuilt TH350's (no core) at the Goodguys show for under or around $500. Are you going racing? Street driving? Lots of things we need to know to really give you the best advice... Tell us more!

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts