Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Update! I want to move my post to the Build forum. I'll post later in the performance section when I start racing. Hey Guy's, I'm kinda new to this site. I joined a couple of months ago when I purchased a Brown 67 on Ebay. Well, when I went to pick it up it just didn't check out so I turned it down. In the mean time I keep hearing a co-worker mention his friends old Camaro so I decided to check it out, and bought it!
Now this is not exactly what I was looking for but I think it was worth the money and its something to play with until another deal comes along. I was surprised how solid the body was. The rockers are great. The floors, doors, roof and front end are all good with a little surface rust. The lower Quarters need replacing, not sure why. There's a battery box in each corner so maybe they leaked and rotted it out. It's a back half car with the frame tied together with a Dana 60 and ladder bars, alum fuel cell and a pretty nice roll cage. Whoever did the back in the day seemed to know what they were doing. The wheels are in rough shape from sitting out but I think they'll clean up and it need tires. Its just something to play with. I have several engine/trans combo's I can drop in it to play. I know it need so serious TLC and I have a empty bay in the shop! I think it was worth $1200 don't you?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I picked up the Camaro and unloaded it in my shop. The first thing to do was clean out all the junk that was left in it and start taking a real good look at everything, especially the suspension. The metal work in the trunk and the wiring is ruff so I'll pretty much gut the car and start over. I'll send some more picture along the way. Not sure just how it will look in the end but will try to keep old school looking I guess. But it needs a lot of updates. Need to finish out the roll cage to the frontend, rewire everything, install 2 lower quarters, a windshield, some window chrome. Probably cut the rest of the steel floors out that are rusted and replace with lighter stuff. This is going to be a test car for a lot of engine combo's my friend and I have. A 454 with some gas. A 540 with gas, and a 370 twin turbo. These engines have always been in heavy street cars with small tires so this is kinda exciting for us. This should be 1000 lbs lighter and hook! and it have plenty of room to work with and I don't mind cutting on it. Here's a few pictures of the possible engines.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had some time over the week to work on the Camaro so I decided to cut away all the bad stuff to get a better look at the structure of the car. After cutting out the rusty trunk area a front floor pans the frame and rocker look solid. I'm going remove the front sheet metal next then jack it up outside and do a little blasting to clean things off, then remove the rear end and all suspension for inspection and updates/rebuild with some current tricks. The more I take apart the more I see that needs to be addressed. But also the more I uncover the better it looks. I just decided to cut the roll cage out and install a more up to date cage along with some additional support for the frame. Once I pulled the carpet back the aluminum work didn't look to secure either, you can see where this is going. It's snowballing into a complete rebuild but I think its worth it. The body is pretty solid and my friend and I have all the skills to do it and enough left over parts from other projects to just about complete it. Here's a few pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's been a while since I last posted but I've been busy none the less. I separated the body from the frame and after careful inspection I decide to trash the rear subframe and start over. It was cracked in several place, twisted and measurements were different from side to side. It looks like whoever built it did it underneath the car. I'll do it outside the car a roll it under after completion. Also sandblasted most of the body and started installing patch panels and lower quarters. Had a few challenges along the way but that's what make's it interesting. Stretching the rear quarters for the larger 33' tires took the longest but I've done similar before so it wasn't so tough. This week I plan to grind all the welds and maybe blast them to prep for body. Although not going as fast I hope'd I have been working on it. Welded in my own repair patches for the window channels, welded in new quarters and then stretched them for the larger slicks. Completed the body and sprayed on 2 coats of Epoxy primer followed be high build primer. As soon as I can block it and reprime I can start reassembling and install the front suspension, then fabricate the rear frame.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea it was kind of hard to walk away from and the owner was just going to let it root away if he didn't get his price, so I saved it from Doom!

·
13,971 Posts
1200.00???? WTH, That is all you paid. Man you stole that car. Great deal for you. :yes:
Did it come with the title?

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No title, I guy I bought it from never got a title because it was a drag car. I guess I could have it searched and apply for one. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
99 Posts
She is looking good, looking forward to seeing it done.

my 68 was a ex-drag car too back in the 1970's they even swiss cheesed the front sub frame for a little more less weight. The years it was off the road in the Illinois winter "no salt" the body was nice when I found it in 82. She is old school and I had to add centerline rims and a hurst inline shifter back then. But the 5.38 gear had to come out, it was fun stop light to stop light. But that was it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
No title, I guy I bought it from never got a title because it was a drag car. I guess I could have it searched and apply for one. Any thoughts?
Progress is looking good but Id get a title before you go too far. Hate to see you get it all done just to find out you can or that its was stolen and have to give it up.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guy's , latest update. I finished the body work, sprayed 2 coats of high build primer. Then I dry blocked it, 2 more coats of primer. Next I wet blocked/sanded all area's and sprayed a coat of Epoxy primer to protect it while I build the frame and suspension. I want to spray the interior rear and side panels red before I build the frame and roll cage. I plan to use factory code red rattle can from SEMS or others. Does anyone know if I should spray it over the black base I have or spray it first with a lighter color, gray or white. thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guy's, latest update and a few pictures. Started assembling the front sub-frame and mating it to the body. I mentioned earlier that this car was built probably in the 80's maybe in the 70's so there is some old school technology in it. I was reminded of that when I was cleaning the front control arm. The lower arm have been cut and the ball joint raised to lower the car with stock length springs. The welds and gusset's look pretty good for the period. My question is, for any of you that may have seen this or end used them back in the day. Are they safe? and is the any draw back to using them? I'm planning to try them unless I hear other wise. thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update on my Camaro,
The last post about using the stock modified control arm was a bust. I discovered one was bent at the bushing area so I purchased some off E-bay. I remembered reading other post about the china ball joints so I replaced them with Duralast. Sure glad I did, when I pressed them out and compared them, the china joints were very thin casting. Scary thin! and you could grab the stem and move it freely by hand. It also appeared that the stem was not tempered, just black oxide. the Duralast joint were much stronger and robust. Other than that the control arm look really nice and installation was straight forward.
So now I have the front sub-frame attached to the body with solid bushing and the front suspension is assembled. I leveled the car on the floor at ride height and set the rear housing and tires under the body so I can start building the rear sub-frame and cage. More to come!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update! Before building the frame/cage I decided to remove some more of the front sub frame for a cleaner look and a easier location to connect the round tubing to the front frame. I also cut a pie shape from the front sub frame and raised it up so no part will be lower than the rocker's. Next I cut out part of the inside rocker and installed plates where the new frame/rollcage will attach. Here's a few pic's starting the main frame. I on a pretty good roll now so I'll have some more pic's soon.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts