Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the engine, tranny and front clip. Dropped the stock drums, shocks, coil springs and A-arms. I still need to get the steering disconnected and remove the sub-frame. I plan to get the sub-frame blasted and powder coated, along with the A-arms. I would like to hear recommendations for building the entire front suspension back up. Budget is very much an issue and this is not a show or race car...just a fun car. I've already purchased Energy Suspension motor mounts, tranny mount and A-arm bushing kit. I still need everything else. Also, should I make the transition to disc brakes now and if so, what is a good economical complete kit? Remember...budget. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
My 67 had drums and I found a set of 69 spindles. Bought discs at the parts store as well as calipers. Found old calipers for cores! Got the master cylinder and booster for a 69, bought the hard lines kit for discs from a Camaro restoplace. Bought the little brackets that hold the hoses from the frame. All bolted right in. I had to find the caliper brackets and backing plates... Works great... Look on ebay though or post a wanted ad here as well. They make kits for the swap now and it is getting cheaper and cheaper. I did mine about 7 years ago, when I was on a limited budget, college, had to piece it together.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
A good budget front disc system would be off a donor car like a Nova up to 72 I believe. I was going to use just such system on my 68 until I decided to go with a new bigger 4-wheel disc setup.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Regarding disc brakes, lookes like Matt's Classic Bowties has the best price at $475 but is this quality stuff?

For suspension, I understand Hotchkis is high quality but is it the best "bang for your buck" in regards to a complete suspension package? If so, who offers the best pricing? What other complete suspension kits are comprable?

Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I bought my kit from there. Still in the process of getting it back together. From what I can tell the kit is a simple bolt in. They have many options on those kits. if your doing the brakes and suspension and the car is already apart I would look at replacing power steer box also. Car will handle better stop and have a nice feel from the steering wheel not lose sloppy feel.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
I bought my kit from there. Still in the process of getting it back together. From what I can tell the kit is a simple bolt in. They have many options on those kits. if your doing the brakes and suspension and the car is already apart I would look at replacing power steer box also. Car will handle better stop and have a nice feel from the steering wheel not lose sloppy feel.
To help with quicker steering, also consider a smaller diameter steering wheel. Big difference.:yes:

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Why not just replace the original front end components with Moog parts from the auto parts store , available and fairly budget friendly . If it's in the budget do the brake upgrade now , some of the site sponsors have complete kits available .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts