Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know how to disasemble the heater box on a 68 to change the seals and paint the inside. I have taking the core out but don't see how to get the doors out. Does the box have to taking apart by cutting the spot welds to get to the doors?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks David Have you done one? is there any tricks to this?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Most people just replace the main door seal instead of taking the heater box apart. The other two door seals rarely need replacing, since they are stapled to the doors and don't fall apart like the main door seal.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave can the main door be removed to change the seal or do you just try to do it thru the opening under the heater core?

·
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
890 Posts
The kit that I got was junk so I ended up making my own seal for the main duct. The thing was way to thick! If anyone has ideas on how I might have screwed it up I'd take them since I've got the heater out again.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Dave can the main door be removed to change the seal or do you just try to do it thru the opening under the heater core?
You do not have to remove the main flapper door to replace the seal. I just removed the heater box and core to gain access to the door. In the seal kit, the main door seal will most likely have to be cut to the size of the door and glued down.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just look at my box again and the second door (the one in middle) has no seal left on it, so I think I am going to have to take it apart

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
I need to repair my heater also. Neither the “air” nor the “temp” doors seal real well and it gets plenty hot inside my car during the summer.

My plan is to find a similar heater, possibly out of a Nova, in the wrecking yard and practice surgery on it before I tear apart the one in my Camaro.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Drilled the spot welds out of the heater core tray area and removed that section the removed the spot welds on the upper portion from the core area down to the air on/off door. then lifted the cover enough to get the air door out to put seals on that. I think I will leave the defrost door because the seal looks ok on that. I will bead blast the parts and put seals on and reassemble and paint. The only problume I have is that the hot/cold door had a seal on both sides and the seal kit only has one seal for that door in it

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I will take some and post them. Steve I have some pictures but I need to find a place to post them. I will work on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts