Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can help with this. I just rebuilt a Demon 750 carb and bolted it back up to a stroked 350 I bought a while ago that's in my 68. The carb was off the engine for about 6 months. Problem is I'm not getting any gas to the carb after cranking engine. Traced back thru the regulator and canister filter and not seeing any gas there either. I put a clear plastic line on the filter outlet and sucked until I got gas at the filter, bolted everything up and still nothing. I have a pressure guage in line and not seeing any pressure.
Question - will the mech pump create enough suction alone to pull gas from tank, or is there a prime procedure I need to go through? How long do you need to crank to pull fuel through to the carb? Is there a chance the pump has a problem with dry seals or something like that since it may have been dry for that period of time? One last question - should I be able to suck gas to the carb through the pump to prime the lines all the way to the carb? When I tried, all I got was a bubbling noise coming from the pump.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad fuel pump. You should be ebale to crank the motor 4-6 times and mechanical pump should pull gas to the carb. How are you "sucking" the fuel through the lines? Just curious, gas tastes terrible... dont ask how I know either...
Jess

·
Registered
366 Posts
Prime the carb thru the bowl vent and fire the engine the rpm from running will run the pump fast enough to move fuel thru the entire system.

Dan E.
69 SS396 4spd. 4.10 posi. x66 coupe

·
Super Moderator
32,348 Posts
Prime the inlet fuel line to pump.
Remove line at pump, remove gas cap, using a shop rag and shop air, place shop blow gun into filler seal with rag, and charge tank with air. When you see fuel at the pump, reconnect the line.

Prime fuel bowl(s) as described earlier and start the engine. Fuel pump should keep the see-thru filter full of fuel.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Please don't hate me for this! Are you out of gas? (bubbling noise)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Real good info, thanks all. Just one dumb question - are the bowl vents the two towers between the venturi's and the center of the bowls? I gotta believe yes, but just want to check.

Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts