Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be careful if you purchase a NOS rebuilt master cylinder from Heartbeat City. I just attempted to bench bleed one I bought for my '69 late last year (been busy.) Before I could attach brake hoses fluid was leaking out the bore. Both reservoirs were drained in about 15 minutes... Glad i didn't put it directly in my Camaro... I'll get it rebuilt correctly locally... Maybe it was intended for a trailer queen... Jeesh... Fred

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
Be careful if you purchase a NOS rebuilt master cylinder from Heartbeat City. I just attempted to bench bleed one I bought for my '69 late last year (been busy.) Before I could attach brake hoses fluid was leaking out the bore. Both reservoirs were drained in about 15 minutes... Glad i didn't put it directly in my Camaro... I'll get it rebuilt correctly locally... Maybe it was intended for a trailer queen... Jeesh... Fred
Jim didn't get to be where he is buy selling junk. Even the big outfits (Cardone comes to mind) have an occasional hiccup. Did you notify him and let him exchange it or did you just come on here to blindly bash one of the most conscientious Camaro parts suppliers in the game? Jeesh is right.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Che', Sorry, I don't know Jim. I did send an email Sunday, to [email protected], expressing my dissatisfaction with the master cylinder. I didn't get or expect a response. I'll resolve the issue myself without sending parts back and forth via postal. Not bashing, just hopeful the next guy won't put an untested master cylinder in his car and get some real damage. Cheers, Fred

·
Registered
951 Posts
Ship it back and call them, they will never call you back, jim is never there it seems. If no response I dispute the credit card charges and that usually gets any online retailers attention. The damage that could have done if installed is unthinkable, as it leaks down and hits everything on its way down in an area that is hard to repainted. I bet HBO will cover it

·
14,084 Posts
I agree that you owe them a phone call and the opportunity to make things right.

Waiting for an email response when this is an immediate issue IMO is not the best course of action.

Can you imagine how many emails the receive every day?

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
Oh BS. He did enough by sending an email.

It's FAR easier for customer service to go through 50 emails than 2 phone calls. There isn't an excuse to wait this long. He shouldn't have to pound the phone to get someone. This isn't 1995. It's 2015!

·
14,084 Posts
Are you saying you filled the MC and fluid ran out of the threaded bosses the brake lines attach to?

If so and Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that is normal.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
he stated it ran out the "bore" which I translate to master cylinder piston. Its an easy job to tear down and see what the issue is.

·
14,084 Posts
Idk. Maybe it leaked because it sat on the self too long before it was installed. Or maybe it was a piece of crap rebuild

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Sitting on the shelf shouldn't effect a properly rebuilt and assembled (with proper assembly Lube) Master (or wheel/caliper) cylinder ... :noway:
Many a parts store unit has sat on a shelf for years and still functioned correctly when installed.
A nicked or rolled seal or bore issue (to much rust/damage to begin with) might cause that though.

And I agree that an Email should be enough for a well run business to start an evaluation of an issue with :yes:
That is usually the first communication tool I use in the morning before getting on the horn for specifics as needed.

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
Call. If Jim the owner is not there, ask for Dave. He is the manager. If Dave isn't there (rare), ask for Jimmy. Either one of them will take care of you.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
I think if you have a general issue, then email is fine...or if you want to Thank them...

However, if you are having issues like this, then a phone call would be the best course of action.

That being said, what will they do for something that has been a few months + since ordered?

I know I have ordered parts because of good pricing at the time and things have sit on a shelf until I was able to get to it...but that would be on me if something was wrong with it when I tried to install it, months/year+ later...

Unless I mis-read what you wrote, which happens...

But in my mind, a priority issue should be a phone call. A common or low priority could be just email.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The leak is from the bore not the brake line ports :) I relate to Ron's comment in that I ordered the MC in Oct. 2014 and am just getting to it now; weather, work, etc. In hind site I should have bench bled it when I received it; I would have sent it back then. I'll shoot [email protected] an email to encourage them to test the rest of their inventory.

I've calmed down a bit after the weekend frustration. The takeaway is to check whatever is received as soon as possible and address the issue then. There are several good shops not far away and I'm curious what the cause is. :)

Cheers, Fred

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update. I'm stunned. I received an email from Heartbeat City, they are asking for the MC. I guess I'll skip my trip to White Post and let HBC look at it. Since they have reached out its the right thing to do. With the brake fluid leaked out and the MC wrapped in a plastic bag it should be OK to ship? I can't vacuum seal it. I'll update the thread as this goes forward. Cheers, Fred

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
The takeaway is to check whatever is received as soon as possible and address the issue then. There are several good shops not far away and I'm curious what the cause is. :)

Cheers, Fred
Yes we all fall into this pit once or twice in any extended project. Even if you open the box and visually inspect any part, it is a good idea to pull it out and mock up its installation and operation if you can. Don't think I can see that for a Master Cylinder since bench testing it then storing it would be a mess and a drag.

But most the major vendors will work with you regardless if you give them a call and feel them out. Just have to reach out and see.

Brian

·
Registered
909 Posts
Anybody can have a defective product .That does not mean they sell junk . I don't know the vendor and have never bought from him . You do however owe him a phone call and a chance to make it right. If other members say he is a good guy he is, you have to remember as a group we buy a lot. You don't get a following like that by selling junk and poor customer service . My friend Lenny is in the appliance sales and repair business any time he has had a problem especially with new stuff he not only replaces it but gives them much better than they bought originally . That strategy has paid back ten thousand fold in over 35 years of business. Alex

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update. I received the rebuilt master cylinder Tuesday of this week (11/17/15.) I filled both fluid reservoirs and have not experienced any leaking. :) I hope to bench bleed and install the master cylinder over the weekend. Cheers, Fred

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update. Master cylinder is installed and solid as a rock, I'm pleased. I'm also in brake bleeding purgatory right now :( I added a "round" hold-off/provisioning valve below the new MC. Everything is bleeding correctly out of the valve and distribution block, but i'm still getting air in the rear. I think it may be the rear flexible hose... I'm marching on. :yes: Cheers, Fred

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brakes are great! Replaced rear flexible hose, see below, and rear hard brake lines. Getting fluid to the rear cylinders and they bleed as expected. Now to take the Camaro out and "heat up the brake fluid" :) I think the rear flex hose was original, note the hose-to-fitting crimp style. Also the flexible hose has orange makings SAE 40R1 AV-1/xx396 0220088. There is no DOT date on the hose. Heartbeat City came through. Cheers, Fred

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts