Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Retired
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone recognize this solenoid? I have 2 of them in a junk box from father in law. Above the smaller threaded posts are letters S and T no other name or numbers. On the steel bracket is 12V obviously for 12volt system.
Can these be checked to see if they are working with OHM meter? What can I use this for if anything?
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
574 Posts
That would be a FORD starter solenoid -basically a heavy duty relay. I had planned to use one as a relay for my electric coolant fan but am going to go mechanical instead.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
It is a Ford starter solenoid. The one big terminal would go to the battery positive post while the other larger one would go to the starter and then the S terminal would go to the cars key switch which has only 12V output when in the cranking position and then the remaining small terminal should only have 12V output when the solenoid has power on the S terminal.
You also need to have the solenoid grounded through it's mounting tabs. If it is mounted on plastic the solenoid will not work.
Since these are for starting a car they are not for continouis use like a better relay to power an electric fan or fuel pump.
Jim

·
Retired
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys but can it be tested to see if its in working condition? How to test it? Ideas?

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Click - looking at the solenoid the way it is pictured in your photo - I think I might need glasses - the terminal directly to the Left of the 'S' terminal is the Battery Connection side. The 'T' is for the the Coil or a spare lower draw switched connection when the Soleniod is activated.
To 'Test' - hook a 12vdc source to the Bat. side connection, hook the Neg. (or ground) wire to the mounting bracket and then jump to the 'S' terminal with a screwdriver or short wire - you should hear the Solenoid "click" in. You can then check for 12vdc out at the other large (and the 'T') terminal.

Some guys use these to drive Electric Fans on their radiators. I don't think most of these are designed for this constant use application but they seem to work okay for some.

Hope this helps;
John

ps: the 'shiny' circle on the mount bracket holes makes me think that it's a used part - maybe good for a spare only.

·
Retired
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great just what I needed to become a genious at electrocuting myself. will check them out tonight.
Its definately a used one, kinda dirty and scratched up.
thanks guys

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Save them. I use them to help with hot start problems caused by headers and heat soak. Wired one up a few months ago and hot start issues are all gone now. They are not rare or expensive but they do come in handy. A whole lot cheaper than a mini-starter too.

-Mark.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts