Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to replace My Carpet and Seats. Dose anyone have a recommendation on a carpet kit that actually fits properly and has holes for the High Beam Button? I would like something that is molded correctly! ALSO - Looking into some new seats? I was looking at the TMI but I have many questions about those seats. Dose anyone have any experience with them or other manufacturers? I don't mind my stock seats but The foam is shot and they need to be totally reworked. I am thinking replacing them entirely might be just easier??? I would probably get a more modern/comfortable seat but I don't want to loose the ability to lean the seat forwards. Just wanting to get some input from guys who have done this already.

Thanks, Cory C

· Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400 Moser 9” DSE mini tubs
1,366 Posts
Auto Custom Carpets was recommended when I asked…..one piece with added pad and the Essex is cut pile …iirc.
Seats? Lots of options and opinions.
Im 6’3 220 which made a difference on choices.
I found a set of power C7 seats and after a couple of day with a cutoff wheel they fit for my purpose.
There are several threads about transplants… later model GTO, Camaro, BMW etc.
👍

· Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
2,147 Posts
Cory… I used 2000 Pontiac Trans Am power seats which were GM's answer to Recaro I guess. Minor mod on the drivers side but the frames now match the original 69 floor pan mounts. Passenger side was a bit trickier, had to fabricate an L-shaped foot for each side then cut off original and weld the new foot in place so that bolt holes lined up with floor pan. Drivers side is 6-way power plus power lumbar back, passenger is manual but with power number back. Seats tilt forward and have nice headrests. I think my carpet is Lloyds but I forget.
Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Hood

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design

· Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just spoke with TMI - There stuff seems nice but I don't understand why I have to pay 300 more for fronts, 100 more for bracket's and 700 more for rear seats to order from them. Plus Free shipping threw summit... Man - that's a LOT of Moneys!!!!!!!!!!!!! I REEEEELY dont want to Modify anything.... I want to bolt in some seats and call it a day. I know that comes at a premium. Anytime I tackle a Mod it seems to blow up in my face..... I am 6'4" and I weigh about 220 also Sr =) I will say those 4th gen seets Look good in there - you Did a good Job!

· Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
2,147 Posts
Quite a few guys have put newer Camaro seats in 1st Gen pro-tour rides, but I don’t know what’s involved as far as the factory rails matching the 1st gen floor pan mounts.

· Premium Member
74 Posts
X2 on ACC for carpet. Seat choices can be overwelming. And you know how well "bolt in" parts fit...I know theres more headroom in a 69 with standard OE seats, than deluxe OE seats. About an inch, and both used repop seat covers, no added bolster or pad....be careful with "universal" seats. I Just put sparco gts in a 71. With sliders and adapters, they did bolt in, but rub console in front when moved forward, and hit seat belt retractor before the rear travel limit. You sit higher than stock seats too....hope this helps, a little...

· Registered
68 Base Camaro, 355 Offy crossram, Richmond Street close ratio 5 spd, 92K SoCal car
3,290 Posts
Hi Cory I bought Auto Custom Carpet, ACC, for my 68 since they are highly recommended, here is the good and the not really bad, just a couple concerns.

Good;
-Highly recommended by a lot of folks
-Made in USA
-Fair pricing, around $200
-Molded loop pile in factory colors
-Jute padding attached
-Decent surging on the 2 pc like factory
-No dimmer hole, but comes with correct looking grommet you install after cutting yourself
-Plenty of extra material for easy fitting, trimming
-correct appearing vinyl pad on drivers side, attached really well, thermally I think they said

My only concerns;
-To ship rolled in small box the vinyl pad forementioned doesn't lay flat and 2 year in mine still isnt as flat as I'd like, but my floor mats cover it
-If you buy from them there is a NO RETURN POLICY. When I searched Ivy Gold 1968 Camaro carpet set on Ebay took months before one populated. I saw ACC and bought it. Recieved 1969 Gold Camaro carpet set, not even close to the Ivy 68 color which is green/gold. The ad has you scroll to choose color and the only gold on their ad for 1968 Camaro was just called "Gold". Well only one gold in 68 Ivy Gold, they sent me the 1969 Gold. Customer service dept couldn't care less. So deceptive ad, be careful make sure you are getting what you think you ordered. I eventually paid another $200 to get Ivy Gold bc after my discussion with them they corrected their mistake, but didn't help me. I still have 69 gold set in its box, 68 Ivy Gold in car now. Both have driver vinyl pads that dont lay flat.

Obviously with a rare color I had little choice. If you can live with vinyl not laying flat everything else, other than their customer service, was positive.
69 Gold as you recieve it
Rectangle Wood Metal Fashion accessory Font

World Wood Font Art Artifact

Sleeve Yellow Tire Rectangle Tread

68 Ivy Gold installed
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Company that Fisher body contracted to make original carpets for Van Nuys CA cars found on bottom of front & rear originals in my 68
Brown Handwriting Font Tints and shades Rectangle

· Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the response - It seems ACC is probably the way to go! I just need to settle on a set set now...

· Registered
4,420 Posts
My upolstery guy will take the original and build them anyway I want, extra foam were needed and wanted then use PUI covers with some adjustment for the added bolsters. Done for half the cost of after market seats. Have you seen how the car shows do it, same thing. Check with some local shops and some of the guys moonlight. Just had a new top and Katz leather seat covers installed on a 99 Camaro for $400 in one day and I frunished the parts, just an example and he picked up the car from the shop and brought it back.

· Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My upolstery guy will take the original and build them anyway I want, extra foam were needed and wanted then use PUI covers with some adjustment for the added bolsters. Done for half the cost of after market seats. Have you seen how the car shows do it, same thing. Check with some local shops and some of the guys moonlight. Just had a new top and Katz leather seat covers installed on a 99 Camaro for $400 in one day and I frunished the parts, just an example and he picked up the car from the shop and brought it back.
Yes, I need to put more effort into finding a local shop. The one guy in my area has a reputation for being very expensive, very slow, and doing so so work....

16,985 Posts
I like either recovering the OEM seats. I’ve done both original and TMI. I like the TMI

For aftermarket seats I like ProCar. Personally I like the Elite in 69s. Other like the Rally.

Good quality and price. Recline and tilt forward.

· Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like either recovering the OEM seats. I’ve done both original and TMI. I like the TMI

For aftermarket seats I like ProCar. Personally I like the Elite in 69s. Other like the Rally.

Good quality and price. Recline and tilt forward.
Thank you very much - I was wanting to know what guys thought of other aftermarket seats!

16,985 Posts
the ACC carpet on my second gen was terrible fit the rubber foot area was not even close to where it should be and the shape was not close and steam did not help . Still lumpy after 2 years
Was there not an option to return it if the fit and quality was to your liking?

· Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Try heading to a junk yard for seats with all the bells and whistles. Most car seats will work with little modification. My Cadillac XTS has the same width as the Camaro
That's what my dad did on his Fury and they came out nice but was not a huge savings and was a lot of work. He said he enjoyed doing it though.

Was there not an option to return it if the fit and quality was to your liking?
Ya that's the concern - We will see but sounds like ACC is a good option

· Registered
8,684 Posts
hard to tell how it is a correct fit without starting to trim unless one takes shifter out etc and taking the word of everyone's opinion of being a good product
I own a business and this is often easy but requires a little work. One picks up the phone and explains the problem. I've had many items replaced by vendors.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts