Team Camaro Tech banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
68 Base Camaro, 355 Offy crossram, Richmond Street close ratio 5 spd, 92K SoCal car
3,299 Posts
Seeing bill69 and I both have 2 sets of ACC carpets that all have issues with the heel pad it is clear ACC has a problem in this srea and also clear they probably aren't going to address it. Make certain what you think you are buying is exactly what ACC is presenting it as. ACC is up front about NO RETURNS, stressing it when you order.

If doing a concours resto, or concerned about the judges you may want to keep looking. But for me, base car nothing special, never going to be shown, just an occasional cruise, it is a nice option for the $. My mats cover the heel pad so I keep my sanity (look of heel pad does bug me, 38 yrs jet aircraft mx retired but my eyes still trained to see whats wrong with everything, exhausting way to go through life LOL).

17,002 Posts
hard to tell how it is a correct fit without starting to trim unless one takes shifter out etc and taking the word of everyone's opinion of being a good product
Best way always is to pull everything apart and verify fitment before any trimming is started. IHO

Reactions: SY1

· Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400 Moser 9” DSE mini tubs
1,369 Posts
Seeing bill69 and I both have 2 sets of ACC carpets that all have issues with the heel pad it is clear ACC has a problem in this srea and also clear they probably aren't going to address it. Make certain what you think you are buying is exactly what ACC is presenting it as. ACC is up front about NO RETURNS, stressing it when you order.

If doing a concours resto, or concerned about the judges you may want to keep looking. But for me, base car nothing special, never going to be shown, just an occasional cruise, it is a nice option for the $. My mats cover the heel pad so I keep my sanity (look of heel pad does bug me, 38 yrs jet aircraft mx retired but my eyes still trained to see whats wrong with everything, exhausting way to go through life LOL).
I’ve spent most of my life picking the fly specks out of the pepper…..I’m just glad I’m not the only one…👍
I think ( quite possibly wrong) the heel pad is optional?
I’ve always had some form of mat so …I’d leave it off it is an option.

· Registered
68 Base Camaro, 355 Offy crossram, Richmond Street close ratio 5 spd, 92K SoCal car
3,299 Posts
X2 what Vega$69 said.

I took everything out including shift lever from tunnel, started by centering tunnel and getting the fold set right at toe plate to firewall. I still made the same overtimming error I made in the past at the toe plate to firewall fold at one of the kick panels bc I got ahead of myself...again 🤦‍♂️. Will I ever learn?

So like he says fitment before trimming ANYTHING. And I will add go slow.

17,002 Posts
X2 what Vega$69 said.

I took everything out including shift lever from tunnel, started by centering tunnel and getting the fold set right at toe plate to firewall. I still made the same overtimming error I made in the past at the toe plate to firewall fold at one of the kick panels bc I got ahead of myself...again 🤦‍♂️. Will I ever learn?

So like he says fitment before trimming ANYTHING. Go slow.
(y) Been there done that. Should always read instructions 1st but that takes the fun out of it. Lol

· Premium Member
3,136 Posts
These Recaro's are in a 68, I think they're pretty clean looking, and low.

I'm 6'4" and with a helmet on, my TMI seats even with modified slider and mounts, are a bit too tall for optimal seat position. I will change them out one day.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

· Registered
Camaro 1968, going along with a propane powered BPE 383 ci, T56, Eaton Posi 4.10:1, MCB Big Brakes
1,499 Posts
X 2 on the Recaro's.

These are my Recaro's from the '80ies, covered with black vinyl patterns to match the door panels .

Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

They can be fixed very low.
I used steel L corners and a cardboard pattern to make the seat fixation brackets. Not complicated.
and I repainted all plastic housings.

Marc

· Registered
3,299 Posts
X 2 on the Recaro's.

These are my Recaro's from the '80ies, covered with black vinyl patterns to match the door panels .

View attachment 297826

They can be fixed very low.
I used steel L corners and a cardboard pattern to make the seat fixation brackets. Not complicated.
and I repainted all plastic housings.

Marc
Very nice Marc! A lot of seats look out of place in the old cars, but I really like the look of yours. The standard 68 seats are pretty bad if touring for any significant time. Unfortunately my ivy gold interior probably has me locked into keeping them.

· Registered
Camaro 1968, going along with a propane powered BPE 383 ci, T56, Eaton Posi 4.10:1, MCB Big Brakes
1,499 Posts
I bought these seats > 10 years ago from an Opel Kadett for 100 Euros in pretty good shape; for the moment I would redo the Camaro interior.
They are not the best enveloping seat certainly at the shoulders where they are rather narrow, but they maintain a lot better than the old camaro seats + they are more comfortable for the back.
SY1, yes for sure when you have to match colors it gets even more tricky to match non original parts... Or you pay high $$ for recovering doors / dash pads / seats / headliner with same textile + repaint parts after many trials.
I had an original medium blue interior and I went for black so it is more easy to match parts.
I personally would have love an all red interior...Dark blue body paint and red inside...
I am very happy with the interior look with these seats yes, rear seats are same vinyl pattern reupholstered as the front recaros.
Making the seat brackets is not a big job and I am sure it is similar for most of seats.

· Registered
1,199 Posts
I installed seats from an 84 Camaro in my 67.

My goal was to have seats that would recline. For me this helps with both driver position and also head room. I am 6’ 3” so the recline was welcome.

I purchased leather and had a local shop cover them to my liking. 😜

I should add: it did require some cutting and welding, but the end result is they bolt right into the four factory attachment points.

The upholstery scheme is nothing fancy or complex, but suitable for my daily driver.

Here are PICs:
IMG_4229[1] by Larry Madsen, on Flickr
IMG_4230[1] by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

The rear:
DSC_1990 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

· Registered
211 Posts
My black Trim Parts Carpet has not faded after over15 years. My Fold down rear seat carpet (ACC I believe) is faded to a light brown now.

· Registered
3 Posts
I am wanting to replace My Carpet and Seats. Dose anyone have a recommendation on a carpet kit that actually fits properly and has holes for the High Beam Button? I would like something that is molded correctly! ALSO - Looking into some new seats? I was looking at the TMI but I have many questions about those seats. Dose anyone have any experience with them or other manufacturers? I don't mind my stock seats but The foam is shot and they need to be totally reworked. I am thinking replacing them entirely might be just easier??? I would probably get a more modern/comfortable seat but I don't want to loose the ability to lean the seat forwards. Just wanting to get some input from guys who have done this already.

Thanks, Cory C
Check with some local shops and some of the guys moonlight.

· Registered
3,299 Posts
I believe Trim Parts bought ACC and that may be parts of the issues with them today. Nothing against Trim Parts. Just sometimes things don't go smoothly in aquisitions, companies change.

· Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
5,696 Posts
I believe Trim Parts bought ACC and that may be parts of the issues with them today. Nothing against Trim Parts. Just sometimes things don't go smoothly in aquisitions, companies change.
Actually it's just the opposite. ACC bought Trim parts automotive carpet division.

· Registered
4,473 Posts
Anyone use OER carpet kit?

OER Authorized Molded Carpet Set; Loop; Black; 1967-1969 Camaro & Firebird (classicindustries.com)

I assume my carpet has been replaced at some point. It is in OK shape but now I have separation of the foot/heel mat to carpet so was considering a replacement

IDK if its worth taking out that front section and just taking it to a upholstry shop to fix...it it can be.

For $155 for replacement, I suspect a shop would charge at least that to fix current carpet.....although the current fit is good

· Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
5,696 Posts
Anyone use OER carpet kit?

OER Authorized Molded Carpet Set; Loop; Black; 1967-1969 Camaro & Firebird (classicindustries.com)

I assume my carpet has been replaced at some point. It is in OK shape but now I have separation of the foot/heel mat to carpet so was considering a replacement

IDK if its worth taking out that front section and just taking it to a upholstry shop to fix...it it can be.

For $155 for replacement, I suspect a shop would charge at least that to fix current carpet.....although the current fit is good
Roger, I'm pretty sure that's ACC carpet. Less $$ at Rockauto.

· Registered
4,473 Posts
Thanks Al, I saw the ACC on RA, for less...just didn't know if the Classic Industries listing for "OER" was actually ACC.

IDK if OP's concern is over the heel pad coming separated or some other "not right" aspect

carpet is on my list....just not very far up on it though

· Registered
1,499 Posts
Well I can post pictures later if you are interested, I have this Classic Industries Carpet installed, guess from ACC.
It comes in 'loop' finish.
The loop is ripping out somehow, I guess this is the way the loop is made.
If I was to chose again I would go for a cutpile version. Even it is not originally correct.

Fit was OK.
But I also had this issue at the heel pad, it is set too high and you cannot get it fit nice on the floor. So I added more cushion mat under the heel pad + I relaxed the carpet on the tunnel.
FYI I had reshaped my tunnel because of the T56 so I don't know if this is the reason for it or if it is ACC fit issue.
Quality seems to be also ok, if you don't care about this loop ripping out...

Problem is while driving there is a rubbing of your right foot with the tunnel, and there the carpet quickly deteriorates.

I just ordered and received (I was in US by chance) some floor mats from ACC to proect the new carpet. I choose this set (ACC): Premium Contour Floor Mat Front Row 2pc (8401)
It is a molded mat.
I though it would fit better and not bend itself easily.

The mat is of very good quality.
As I have sound deadener in 2 layers the floor is set at slightly higher level which may explain why the fit is not perfect... Now I am trying to find a solution and I am writing to ACC if I can reshape the molded mat with a heat gun...

This mat I chose with cutpile finish.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts