Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO - I have a 1st gen and was wondering if anyone has a Link to a Nice how to Guide and Possible recommendation on a Rack & Pinion conversion kit for a 1st gen with a BB in it? Thanks In advance

·
Premium Member
5,130 Posts
A quality box with rack and pinion valving from Turn One, DSE or others will outperform any rack conversion imho.

Don

Reactions: Just 1 More

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only recommendation is DON’T DO IT.
Nothing but problem.
Its sucks that Bad?
I went with a CPP 400 series Conversion kit (after rebuilding the original box did not work out).
I have bin tweaking with the slack adjuster on the CPP box but I can never seem to get it right...
Its new - all components up front are new and It just feels sloppy and loose.
I can tighten it up a but more but when I do it feels like its skating and wants to track to one side or the other.

I Thought a rack might be better but I am not looking for more problems!

·
Premium Member
5,130 Posts
Its sucks that Bad?
I went with a CPP 400 series Conversion kit (after rebuilding the original box did not work out).
I have bin tweaking with the slack adjuster on the CPP box but I can never seem to get it right...
Its new - all components up front are new and It just feels sloppy and loose.
I can tighten it up a but more but when I do it feels like its skating and wants to track to one side or the other.

I Thought a rack might be better but I am not looking for more problems!
CPP was a marginal choice at best imho. Check out Turn One For a 600 series box.

Don

Reactions: Arkangel77

·
Premium Member
5,130 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will give them a call for sure- Thanks man

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just as a final fallow up. I ordered my Turn One box yesterday. Also had to get a new adapter rag joint to go with it. I hope its an Improvement. =) Thanks again for all the Help guys

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IROC box the same at a parts store for $120 installed a dozen with very satisfied customers
Bin down that road - I was not satisfied. That was the 1st thing I attempted B4 the CPP Box (which was also a disappointment)

Reactions: Just 1 More

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Just as a final fallow up. I ordered my Turn One box yesterday. Also had to get a new adapter rag joint to go with it. I hope its an Improvement. =) Thanks again for all the Help guys
The Turn One is pricey but it is a great box ! make sure your pump is in good shape.

I had the "IROC" box, it was fine for normal driving, I even autocrossed a few times with it, but it was nowhere near as tight as the Turn One box I replaced it with, although I did want a little faster box, so I went with a 10.1 gear. Bonus, its a little lighter and smaller too.
My old IROC box lives in a 64 GTO now.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Turn One is pricey but it is a great box ! make sure your pump is in good shape.

I had the "IROC" box, it was fine for normal driving, I even autocrossed a few times with it, but it was nowhere near as tight as the Turn One box I replaced it with, although I did want a little faster box, so I went with a 10.1 gear. Bonus, its a little lighter and smaller too.
My old IROC box lives in a 64 GTO now.
I am hopeful , I procrastinated buying it because of the price! My pump has not bin an issue and has bin modified to put out higher pressure with the borgeson kit. If it gives me any Issues at all I will just replace it!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well - this was a BUST.... I am sure the Turn one box is great but I wont fit. I purchased all these parts and waited on a Hydro boost system to do the install at the same time. I cant fit this Box in the car with my headers. I don't have the space. ITS CLOSE - but it wont fit. Even if I did get it to fit by beating in a header tube, its so close I don't know if that's OK long term because of the heat issues

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is the issue

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Do you have the correct motor stands and cross member for a BB?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ilikeike - I dont know man - they are flowmasters/ Worked fine wit the Old setup but New Headers Might have less Issues?

Do you have the correct motor stands and cross member for a BB?
It was set up for a BB when I got it - Everything I have checked to date has bin fine. Had the car for 12 years. The headers have bin giving me headaches on that Drivers side! They are VERY lage tube headers

·
15,104 Posts
Sounds to me like you fighting issues with everything you want to do because of the headers.

I would replace them rather then jacking everything else to work around them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts