Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Re: recommend a battery and (maybe) alternator

Interstate!!!! Delco alt!!!!

·
Registered
8,303 Posts

If the alternator you have is the original, externally regulated unit, and you are trying to keep the car original, why not have your existing alternator rebuilt?

As for the battery, I have had very good luck with Delco replacement batteries, and you can get a topper to make it look more correct for the car.

I know for the 68 you don't care about originality, but don't know what you're trying to do with the 69, which is numbers matching.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

If the alternator you have is the original, externally regulated unit, and you are trying to keep the car original, why not have your existing alternator rebuilt?

As for the battery, I have had very good luck with Delco replacement batteries, and you can get a topper to make it look more correct for the car.

I know for the 68 you don't care about originality, but don't know what you're trying to do with the 69, which is numbers matching.
I'm hoping I don't have to worry about the alternator. Hope it's just a dead battery. but yeah, I want to keep the look original. don't they still sell original looking alternators over the counter? as for a topper, I've been thinking about that for a while. guess they sell them in Classic Industries and such?

·
Registered
7,625 Posts

I send my Delco alternators and starters to have rebuilt locally and keep them on hand if needed. I do not rely on OTC replacements for my Camaro after discovering a rebuilt alternator with worn brushes and a bad bearing. But the case was pretty when it came out of the box. Or buy a new unit if origionality is not a concern.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

x2 on Optima batteries. Got mine at local NAPA for just a few dollars more than from Summit. I run them in my big diesel, wife's 4x4 Suburban, and the Camaro. Never had an issue and they seem to last twice as long (8-10 years) as other batteries I've used.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts

Optima red top. Get a good smart charger to maintain it. Many folks have ruined their Optimas with standard battery chargers.

I put a CS130 alternator in my 68. Seems it was foregn made, but much better than stock. Some fabrication and wiring required however.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts

I'm hoping I don't have to worry about the alternator. Hope it's just a dead battery. but yeah, I want to keep the look original. don't they still sell original looking alternators over the counter? as for a topper, I've been thinking about that for a while. guess they sell them in Classic Industries and such?
Mark, get the battery, install it and then start the engine. Put a volt meter across the battery terminals You should be getting like 14.5V if the alternator is doing it's job.

If the alternator is shot but you are attached to it, there are places local to you which can rebuild/refurbish the unit.

alan

·
Registered
5,277 Posts

thanks guys, got the battery. started right up. man, it was fun to drive that car again.
That's great, but I'd still recommend you follow Allan's advice and measure the battery voltage with the engine running. If the voltage is too low or too high, your new battery will fail prematurely.

Also, all batteries self discharge over time. A vehicle battery needs a charge at least every 2 or 3 months if you car is kept in storage.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts

I stored a red top on the garage floor for two years. Then installed it after checking the charge. (it wasn't hooked to anything) 12.6 volts. Unbelievable.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts

I thought about asking Myth Busters to test the battery on the floor myth. I found out that several people had already asked about it. Perhaps it takes too long to prove or disprove for Myth Busters to take interest. Personally I think it's a farce. Any battery will go bad if it's neglected for a long time. Temperature may play a roll, and a concrete floor is likely to be colder.

12.6V on a battery that has been sitting for 2 years is pretty good. However batteries typically build up a higher internal resistance over time. So while it may show full voltage when read with a meter, a load will suck the voltage down pretty quickly. The best option is to put a charger on a battery that is stored for any length of time and give it a full charge before using it. If one of the cells gets discharged fully (which it will do just sitting), the other cells can reverse charge it once it's connected to a load again. Once that happens the cell will never be the same.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts