Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While replacing my ac wiring harness I found a red and an orange wire that had been taped inside the plastic protector along the firewall. I have had the car for 5 years and there isn't anything that didn't work, except the ac, so I'm wondering what these wires are. The are large red and orange that have been cut and they seem to originate from the fuse box area. The red has what appears to be some type of heat protector over the wire. I have checked some wiring diagrams but can't seem to find the wire???
Any ideas what they may be??

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I've got a 68. I found a red wire taped inside the underdash harness. It had a transparent plastic cover over it and a goofy looking metal connector inside attached to the wire. I traced the wire and found it connects to the B+ line on the fuse block. If I recall, it is the same circuit as the cigarette lighter. Apparently the factory A/C harness attaches to this terminal. But the baseline schematic didn't show it.

I suspect the 69 might have something equally as weird. I wonder if the orange wire is ignition power. Probe it with a volt meter and see what you get in the various key positions.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to check the voltage. I know the red wire is hot with ignition on but not real sure about the orange. I also noticed that while installing the ac wiring harness that the cig. lighter was not hooked up. Don't smoke so never noticed it before. I wasn't able to locate any wire that would feed the lighter under the dash but didn't look real hard. The red and orange wires both are large enough that they should feed soemthing, but I'll be darned what..

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
On an A/C car, GM cut and taped back the orange wire in the gutter asbove the distributor. It is the original wire to the fan motor on a Non A/C car. The A/C harness that comes thru the firewall above and to the right of the suitcase contains the new wire to the blower motor. The red wire should be the feed to the blower motor relay that operates the fan on high speed. It should run over to the horn relay on the radiator support, and have a fuse holder on the end of it in the wiring gutter. The fuse holde has a 25 amp fuse in it and the other end connects to the blower motor relay ontop of the A/C suitcase. The red wire is hot all the time.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mark, I have another wire with the fuse connector that went to the ac. The red wire is the same size as the orange and has the old black heat shield around it with a cut end. I haven't been able to trace it yet due to the brake booster and just no room to see. I will follow it and see where it goes. It does have power to it but tracing the wiring diagram, I'm lost because all the other wires seem to be OK. Just can't find what I'm looking for. Just trying to solve what someone else did, and why?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts