Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had recent issues with my charging system, so I installed a new voltage regulator, alternator (refurb) and battery. My car now starts, but the red "GEN" light is always on. Any ideas? Also, does the voltage regulator need grounded? My old one was not when I took it off, but I noticed there is a metal tab that I would think needed something attached to it, so I attached a black ground wire. If that is wrong, is that what could be setting the red light to go off? Any advice appreciated... Thanks!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
First test - check battery voltage with engine running. It should be around 14v at fast-idle.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
The regulator should be grounded through the body by the screws to the rad. core support. Do you have a wiring schematic? Then you can check all the wires. Check for bad connections. Old wiring gets corroded. What year? But I don't think that should matter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good, I think I have it right... the regulator is grounded to the core support. The wiring harness is new, so nothing is corroded. I have a 69 Camaro. I just don't want the same problem to happen that happened before, where something is draining the battery. I will probably take it to a mechanic so that they can check to see if anything is wrong electrically. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts