Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the...

Having already had some problems with the starter lead, (the big cable) with it intermitently not making a connection somewhere down the line... It would just click, or turn real slow, when turning the key. At times, would click once and I would lose all power through the car.
I could reach behing the header and jiggle the cable untill power came back, then try turning it over again. till it started..
Now sho doesn't want to combust, turns over the the battery dies, I got a new cap and rotor to try later today, but while I was trying to get it going yesterday, a Freind notice while she was cranking that (white) smoke was coming from the starter and the big bold was red hot.. Normal?
1984 Camaro
350 engine
305 starter no heat sheild
w/headers

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
No, the bolt should not be red hot and the starter should not have smoke coming from it! Likely you have an incorrect connection or a bad short that is leeching the battery voltage. Get underneath tha car and look at the connections. You may need to drop the starter to get a good look.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Bitchin... the last time I had a "starter problem", it actually turned out to be my battery leads... replaced both the ground and positive leads. They were both cracked, and slightly burned in several places from years of misuse. Not one problem since, and both leads cost less than $15...

·
19,752 Posts
Sounds like you were cranking too long and the resistance in the wire was too high so the wire/starter started burning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just came back from replacing the cap and rotor and she started right away... I HAD cranked quite a bit before, also white smoke would indicated wire burning.. Som that might have been it. Once I get it home I'm going to do some diagnosing just in case.

Thanks for the help/info!

·
Registered
797 Posts
As mentioned above-REPLACE BOTH OF YOUR BATTERY CABLES IMMEDIATELY. I am happy that your car started after replacing your distributor cap & rotor BUT you DID NOT FIX YOUR PROBLEM!

You merely masked it temporarily and the next time it rains, or the engine/starter gets hot, you will be stuck with a no-start situation.

Please take the time now to replace your cables before you find yourself stranded.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks GO69,

I had a tune up on Thursday and they removed and tested the resistance on both battery leads, they turned out fine. I think the short might be from the starter to the harness.. Not so easy task to replace.. At any rate, I was told I need a new carb to pass aircare, I don't have the cash, and my temp insurance runs out on the 28th of this month... I'm going through one more time, if she don't pass, she's getting parked :( ...for who knows how long...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts