Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1968 camaro rs/ss. When I turn my headlights on a red light comes on between my 2 gauges ( tach and speedo ). What is this light? Are there high beams on the '68?

ex. ( )*( ) this is a very detailed drawing of where the light appears between gauges.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believed it was high beam, but couldn't figure out how to turn it off. Oh it makes sense now, the button on the floor.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zuma1211:
Brevdog, welcome to the 60's!! LOL<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back in my day we didn't have no fancy turn-signal high-beam flippy gidgets. We stomped a button on the floor until the souls of your shoes wore thin and made a big ol' blister on your foot. And we liked it...we loved it.

-dnult

·
3,176 Posts

·
Retired
26,597 Posts
In American cars Ford started it, they had a better idea and copied all the imports!! Things were so small on the imports back then that the stick shift drivers were confusing the button for the clutch and wrecking trannys so they opted to move the switch to the turn signal lever. It was a good choice as most folks don't use turn signals so the lever really wouldn't get excess wear from the dual function...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 our local club"
and the "daily driver"

·
Registered
84 Posts
My 74 still has the switch on the floor. I hate the new ones. Here is one for all of us old enough to remember. Think back when you had to turn the key on and then there was a floor button that started the car. I remember it on an old truck but.... Ahh the old days.

------------------
Scott
May we never have to drive a minivan

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey,
My grandfather had one where you had to turn a crank handle to start it. Say thanks to the guy who invented the electric starter guys!!!
Anybody remember the old Stanley Steamers?

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts