Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This could be a very simple question to some, but in general why can you rev a smaller motor much higher than a larger?? For instance my friends have mostly mustangs and I've driven them. Pushing them (302's) upwards of 6 to 6.5 grand aint nothing big. Where as I don't ever really see many 350'2 being pushed over five and a half. I know nascar motors are reved really really high , but I'm talking about as a general rule. So... how is this????

·
Registered
142 Posts
the mustang motors have a shorter stroke than a 350.
generally, the shorter the stroke the faster it can rev.
also, a lot of the 302 engines came from the factory with forged pistons, which will allow for higher revving.
The nascars do it becuz they are forged everything, and they are perfectly balanced...also..they dont expect to get more than a couple hundred miles on each engine.
Joshua

·
Registered
775 Posts
The shorter stroke allows the higher RPM which was stated above. The reason is that with a shorter stroke, the pistons move much slower at a given RPM than an engine with a longer stroke at the same RPM. Look at it this way, in a small block 400 with a 3.75" stroke at 1000 RPM, the piston moves 7.5" for every revolution. Thats 7500" in one minute. A 327 with a 3.25 stroke has pistons that move 6.5 " every revolution. Thats 6500" in a minute at 1000 RPM. In order for the 400 piston to move the greater distance in the same amount of time, it has to move faster. The faster piston velocity makes it much harder for the piston to change direction at either end of the stroke. Therefore, shorter stroke equals slower piston velocities and higher RPM capability as long as the valve train will hold up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys here at Team Camaro are awesome. I wish I could pick your brain for hours, but I guess I'll have to settle for these posts. Thanks guys.
ps- does anyone know anything about the reher-morrison engine school?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts