Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people. Sorry if i'm asking for info covered. Didn't see it in the database.

I'm going to resto my 69 coupe and would like input on excellent reference material for this. I would like material covering the correct color for parts such as the suspension pieces, engine compartment, brake components, truck pieces, etc. Also, anyone know a great resource or book for casting numbers,part numbers and wheel codes. Would appreciate any input. Thanks so much.

[This message has been edited by Gulcher (edited 10-24-2001).]

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
You could start with Jerry Macneish's "Definitive 1969 Camaro Z/28-SS396 fact book. Good info and right around 20 bucks these days.

·
Registered
87 Posts
hey gulcher, i went to barnesnoble.com web site to check out a book, camaro restoration guide 1967-1969 author jason scott. he has a brand new book "orignal camaro 1967-1969,will be out some time in december.you can order it now,i did.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Gulchman...good luck with your 69. Here are my favorite two:

1) 1965-69 CHEVROLET BY THE NUMBERS by Colvin (can't recall author's first name)
This has all the casting numbers and much history on your car. Great book!

2) 1969-81 CAMARO by Chilton
If you want to know how to: rebuild the carberator...rebuild the front end...rebuild the distributor...rebuild the brake system, tuning specs...trouble-shooting, etc, etc...get this one.

Also, get a free copy Rick's First Generation catalog. The book and RFG's staff have been a great source of info and parts for me and others...800-359-7717.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replys guys!!!! Will check out all the books. This is really a great forum for info and appreciate all the help. Later---

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Rick's First Gen. now charges initilly for their catalog - but they do have it online.
I had a bad experince with Rick's and they did not take care of me. They met my 3 strikes and you are out rule. Now that you got me started, what do you guys think of the shipping and handling fee that Classic Industries and Year One (and other company's) charge? I simply refuse to pay for "handling". I have no problem with paying for shipping (only what the shipping companys charge).

When I buy groceries I don't pay for handling. Why should I for my Camaro parts ?

Sorry, I just had to vent.

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock, hooker, ultradyne,
TRW etc.
700R4 TPI transmission

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Don't forget the other four essential books nobody should be without for a restoration (or just for general maintenance):

1. 1969 Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual
2. 1969 Chevrolet Chassis Overhaul Manual
3. 1969 Fisher Body Service Manual
4. 1969 Camaro Assembly Instruction Manual

These are all available from most of the resto parts houses, have all the correct and specific information you need, and together with Jerry's book, will have everything you need. Not ranting or flaming anyone, but I'm continually amazed at how many people tear their cars apart without a single GM technical reference publication to help them diagnose it, figure out how it works, or help them put it back together. GM designed and built it, and they have a pretty good handle on how to maintain it, and it's all in print. A good technical library is worth its weight in gold when your car is scattered all over the garage.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TJS69 and JohnZ, thanx for the advice.

69-- You're right about the fees. Gets really old, but even at the grocery you pay the handling. They just roll it into the price.

JohnZ, i agree. You can't have enough reference material. I have built and rebuilt a number of Harleys and couldn't have done it w/o the books and material. Thats why i'm researching now. Don't want the parts spread all over the garage floor with no idea how to start. Thanks again guys. Gulch

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JohnZ, do you have a site with pictures of your Z. My coupe is Fathom Green too and i'm going for the Z look. Have the spoilers, front is on, ready for the rear. Need the induct hood. Coupe is original, as Mom bought it new in 69. Bottom of the line, with 307, auto, vinyl roof and no air but very cherry and in the family. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Don't have a site, but here are a couple of shots of the Z:

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, Sleepy-69 thanks for the reference on Chevrolet by the numbers. Just got it and its great.

JohnZ, thanks for the info on books too. Got the Factory assembly instruction book. Will be a great help on restro.

Appreciate all the help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts