Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to clean a rusty flywheel? I can shot blast it, but what about the ring gear. Would the texture left by the blasting on the ring gear be bad for the mating starter gear?

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
I guess it's a matter of how rusty the Flywheel is?

Is it heavy/flakey rust? If so I would recommend Bead Blasting to see if the underlaying metal is good enough to be serviceable.
If it just the normal lightly rusted piece I would recommend a two level approach - first remove the rust from the contact area with a light pass with D/A type sander to clean off the major surface rust and wire brush the tooth areas to remove the rest. Lightly coat the tooth areas and other Non-contact areas with a good rust solution (I like GM's 'Heat-Riser' oil. I can get the part # if you need).

Hope others chime in with input!

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Take it to a machine shop to have it resurfaced. There is a special machine with a conical grinding stone that will put a fresh surface on it. It is worthwile to bead blast around the bolt holes so it mates up well with the crank. It won't hurt to blash the ring gear. You are correct that it will scuff the surface a bit. But the gear only sees a few hundred ours of mesh time in its life since it's only used to start the motor.

·
Premium Member
10,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. I planned on having it surfaced. The ring gear is my main concern. The rust is just on the surface. It sounds like Vintage 68's idea of coating the teeth with "heat riser" oil is a good idea.

·
Premium Member
10,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. I planned on having it surfaced. The ring gear is my main concern. The rust is just on the surface. It sounds like Vintage 68's idea of coating the teeth with "heat riser" oil is a good idea.

·
3,563 Posts
Gary,
I have glass beaded, painted and resurfaced several of them for customers and have never heard of anyone having a problem afterwards. Glass beads really dont affect the surface very much so they dont hurt the ring gear.
Hope this helps,

·
Premium Member
10,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bill and SY1: What do you use to paint the flywheel? I assume it is just the back side. The ring gear is fine, just rusty.
Gary

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Gary,

I bead blast it, then have it resurfaced. I wipe the whole thing down with MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) you can buy at Ace Hardware, then use black semi flat epoxy primer on all the surfaces except for the machined surface. Your local paint man can mix up Dupont epoxy primer and add whatever amount of flattening agent you want to it for the proper finish you desire. I think if you go about 30% flat you'd like the look of the left over primer to use on frames, firewalls, or whatever else you need to do. Nothing is tougher than 2 part epoxy primer. Dassault who makes the Mirage fighters as well as a line of corporate jets uses epoxy primers exclusively for structural repairs and you can't damage the stuff once it cures.

If you've never used MEK before you may want to consider any good solvent you're familiar with for cleaning and prepping surfaces for paint. I've used MEK for 24 years, but it is very, very flammable. You can literally pour it onto the floor and watch it evaporate over a couple minutes time. It also is dangerous to breath or come in contact with skin as over time it tends to cause liver damage. But good Latex gloves changed every 8 minutes maximum, a good 3M respirator and goggles and nothing else comes close to the job it'll do. I've stripped first gen dashs and firewalls with nothing more than MEK and scotch brite medium pads, right down to the bare metal.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Don't you think painting it is a case of over-restoration? After all, your not going to see it!

I agree with all the other responses, take it to a machine shop and have them turn it.

Dave

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Painting the flywheel will not remove the warpage or hard spots. If you want clutch chatter just paint it and sand it. If you want it true have it machined. Just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
10,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mr. C:
I am planning to have it surfaced. I was only interested what to do with the rust on the ring gear and the effect on the starter gear on a bead blasted surface. the painting intrigued me because I have never seen one painted on the back side. Thanks

Gary

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Hi Gary
Beadblasting the ring gear will not have any effect on the starter drive gear. As for paint on the backside of the flywheel disc I also have never seen them painted upon removal either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts