Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Z28 LT1, I recently swapped from factory auto transmision(460LE) to a 6 spd (T56 Borg Warner). When driving about 60 mph the speedometer reads 20 mpg. How do I go about fixing this condition ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a 1997 Z28 LT1, I recently swapped from factory auto transmision(4L60E) to a 6 spd (T56 Borg Warner). When driving about 60 mph the speedometer reads 20 mpg. How do I go about fixing this condition ? Any recomendation will be appreciated

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looking thru my Haynes Repair Manual, I've found that you may have problems with your Vehicle Speed Sensor.

From the Manual: The VSS is located in the transmission housing at the rear section near the output shaft. This permanent magnet generator sends a pulsing voltage signal to the ECM/PCM. The ECM/PCM converts to miles per hour. The VSS is pat of the Transmission Converter Clutch system. A problem in the VSS control circuits will set a Code of 24 or Code 72. Take it to Pepboys and have them check.

To check the VSS yourself, disconnect the electrical connector in the wiring harness near the sensor. Check the REFERENCE voltage from the ECM/PCM by probing the yellow (+) and the purple (-) with a voltmeter. There should be approximately 5.0 volts present. If reference voltage is present, have the VSS diaagnoed by a dealer service department.

Hope that helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts