Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you use to refresh bolts? My chassis is painted and every part has been restored, but the bolts are not OK.
How do you restore them? Maybe painting them with some kind of spray?
I don’t want to assemble the car with "old looking" bolts.

Thanks

David

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I also will clean them with a wire wheel, tho I don't paint them. Mostly I buy new ones. You can get a complete "master kit" of every bolt and nut and washer outside of the interior for $50 or so. Another $20 will get you the interior screws.

I got mine from D&R, they came in a baggy. I heard that Rick's includes a sheet to tell you which go where.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Ive heard of very good results from a product called evap-o-rust, or www.safestrustremover.com .

Jim: for the "master" hardware kits, much more than $50. The chassis kit is $250-300 and the body kit is around $200. Engine kit is about $100. From www.amkproducts.com and the hardware is individually bagged and labeled, with the AIM page that pertains to the particular hw in the bag.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Even I caught that one, Jim :D I was gonna get in line too.

I sandblast mine, David, then spray em with Chassis-Saver.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Below comments from Jeff Betz..........known Camaro restorer, Carlisle judge, former GM and current Chysler engineer at eng mfg plant in metro Detroit..............

I am certain that Zinc Phosphate is not correct for the bolts. I'm
also certain that the MANGANESE phos is correct! I looked up the plating
spec on bolts and believe me there are only 3 major suppliers of bolts:
Ring Screw (Textron), Cold Heading, and I can't remember the other one. We
still deal with them all here and nothing has changed. To each their
own...so I won't tell someone how to restore their car. I will always give
my opinion if asked, and will always reveal my restoration method or a
better one if I know one. Good luck to your friend with the zinc plating
on the fasteners. Just another side note, I believe it would be okay to
dock points off a diamond car for having painted fasteners, a practice that
I told you some of the "top" restorers do use.

Actually zinc phosphate is an excellent plating to use on something before
you paint it. It is a recommended plating to be used under painted parts.
I did my door hinges in the zinc phos before I put them on the car and
painted them of course. It is an excellent "primer".

As far as your bolts coming out too dark? Not sure. I know some of mine
are pretty dark. Your bellcrank...remember, different amounts of iron and
densities of metal will plate different. The bellcrank is a tube (drawn or
stamped and welded) with two stamped brackets. Notice the tube has less
pores than the brackets welded on each end. That all factors in to how
well they will plate. If you send me your address I will send 5 bolts or
so that I have laying around that I manganese phos'd a few years ago.

I just use one of those camping type cooktops with two propane burners.
Coleman makes it. Works great. Fasteners and items that are to be
somewhat "black" get the manganese phos and the latches and such get the
"grey" zinc phosphate. Nice thing is different metals plate different
shades of the stuff, so it doesn't all look the exact same.

PALMETTO Enterprises
2311 A Old Parker Road
Greenville,SC 29609
864 246 3836

·
Retired
26,741 Posts
Hey David if you are on a budget you can try soaking then in CLR. CLR is a household type cleaner (Calcium, Lime and Rust). Clean any greese and oil off the bolts and nuts then soak them over nught in this stuff. It will remove any paint on them and leave them with their natural color.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
then spray em with Chassis-Saver.
What's that and where do you get it?

And Chuck, did Jeff B. explain this process with the Coleman stove? Sounds like you could zinc and manganese phosphate at home. If true could you elaborate on the process (what to use and where to get)? TIA.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Re: bolt suppliers

I looked up the plating spec on bolts and believe me there are only 3 major suppliers of bolts:
Ring Screw (Textron), Cold Heading, and I can't remember the other one. We
still deal with them all here and nothing has changed.
I don't agree. There were lots of fastener suppliers. Just look at all the different headmarkings on a first gen. Each different headmark is a different supplier.
"Russell, Burdsall & Ward" (RBW), Elco, etc.

I have a book that ID's all the headmarks and the corresponding supplier.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
kurt is correct...

on a single car you can have fastners with different head markings on the same component.i will give you an example..

on my convert X brace. three were of one manufacturer one from another.

on my fold down rear seat hinges to seat back. two were different.
see below......

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Chuck's post lists Palmetto Enterprises, talk to Vern something. He will give you the chemicals and instructions. Follow the instructions to the letter. I did it and it was easy, of course, I used the kitchen stove, and got "caught" by my wife.

Black Phos (Mangenese) for bolts, Grey Phos ( Zinc) for other plated stuff like hood hinges, hood latch, Z-bar, etc. At about $20 per bottle, I'd get one of each. It's concentrated, and reusable, so a quart is a lifetime supply.

I just picked up an original 4 speed lockout bracket, which I think is supposed to be gray phos, so I will be getting the chemicals out again.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
of course, I used the kitchen stove, and got "caught" by my wife.
I'm already getting the comforter ready for the couch in advance. I think I have my priorities mixed up. Thanks

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Kurt and Wagonman, Jeff Betz said he BELIEVED there were only three fastener vendors and maybe he was wrong......You want to have a pixxing contest over how many vendors and there names.........go ahead YOU WIN...
My point is that for those that care I BELIEVE that the Manganese Phosphating and Zinc Plating of fasteners is the most correct plating treatment to replicate Originality.
I am also a big endorser of BOESHIELD T-9 as a rust inhibitor......needing occasional reapplication.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Chuck, where do you get Boeshield and would that work well in "our" climate?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Ive heard BoeShield is now sold at Sears (??). I have bought in person and online from something called Boaters Discount World.......Pricing can deviate greatly from one place to another ......BoeShield is NOT Nervana, but so much better than WD-40..........Anything /Everything needs maintenance.

FYI, Zinc Plating is an Electrical process that is much better left done at a professional shop....As well they normally run the zinc plated parts through a "brightner" that gives the gloss/shiny finish.

On the other hand fasteners and small parts can be easily Manganese or Zinc phosphated in your garage on a propane Colman camp stove and stainless steel vessel and collander..........

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
no pixxing contest...

i dont know how many suppliers... i just know that on any car on any component you can have more than one type of bolt.....

besides... i cant pixx that far!!!!!! lol

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Chuck,
And where in my statement did it look like I wanted to start any type of contest??
I simply stated facts, no personal attacks. If one can't respond to information posted on this forum, then why have the forum?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts