Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basic question.

I am just simply trying to reinstall my pulley on my power steering pump. It has a slot in it, I manually put it push but does not go all the way in.

Do I require a special tool. I used a pulley remover to remove it....

Thanks!

·
Registered
210 Posts
usually a large socket and a hammer work for me. dont forget to oil it a little. it all depends what type of pump you have.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Do you have the early pump with a key and a nut? if you do, then you can gently tap the pully onto the shaft. It won't take much persuasion.

If you have a press on style, dont hit your power steering pump with a hammer!!!!! :eek: This can severely damage the pump.

The end of the pump shaft is threaded for a 3/8 coarse bolt. Get yourself a hard 3/8 bolt with about 2 1/2" of threads on it, as well as a couple of good nuts and some different diameter washers. Thread the nut all the way on to the bolt, throw on the washers and the pulley and then thread the bolt into the pump shaft. Use the nut to press the pulley on to the shaft without damaging any parts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by PDQUICK:
Do you have the early pump with a key and a nut? if you do, then you can gently tap the pully onto the shaft. It won't take much persuasion.

If you have a press on style, dont hit your power steering pump with a hammer!!!!! :eek: This can severely damage the pump.

The end of the pump shaft is threaded for a 3/8 coarse bolt. Get yourself a hard 3/8 bolt with about 2 1/2" of threads on it, as well as a couple of good nuts and some different diameter washers. Thread the nut all the way on to the bolt, throw on the washers and the pulley and then thread the bolt into the pump shaft. Use the nut to press the pulley on to the shaft without damaging any parts
I believe it is the old style. It has a slot (key?). It should just slide on and then one nut to hold it in place from the looks of it. It does not have a place for a bolt to go and press the pulley in.

·
10,153 Posts
Make sure everything is clean and rust free. It's usually the shaft key that hits a bit. Does it slide on without the key?

You should be able to just tap it on until you can get the nut on it, then tighten the nut.
David

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How can something sooo simple be such a pain in the butt!!! :mad:

I'm driving myself nuts! It is definately an early style pump that slides on and then a nut to hold it in place. (woodruff key slot)

I cleaned out the slot, no rust at all that shows. I've files the slot to ensure there are no burs from the recent powder coating and this sucker will not go in! I've smacked it with my mallot 10 times and just moves 1/64" at a time.

At this rate I am going to permenantly damage it!

Heeelp....

I have a pic of it on my sig. In the Engine Build up section!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
The pulley goes on with hand pressure per assy manual option N40, sheet A10. Note: "Mandatory Assembly Procedure". Put the hammer away.
:D

Your pump shaft looks a little beat up in the photo so maybe that is causing a problem. The more likely problem is the paint coating being too thick on the mounting/keyway surface of the pulley. I would try fitting the pulley without the key to see what the real issue is. If it fits without the key, you know where to look for the problem.

-Mark.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I've managed to solve the issue. It seems that the powder coating went on so thick that it decreased the diameter.

I sanded the paint off and it slipped right on. I can't believe that caused the problem!! Shesh..

Thanks all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts