Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I am upgrading my 67 coupe wiring to handle a multitude of upgrades. I ordered MAD's whole kit, which has relays for lights and starter, I also have two relays for my two fans, two relays for my Vintage Air and a relay for my nitrous. Also have MSD6 with retard box.

With all of this, I am out of room in the engine compartment. Thinking of relocating my battery to the trunk to free up some real estate. I was wondering if anyone has done anything creative to handle all the new wiring.

Should I mount all the relays under the dash or in the engine compartment? Mix them up?

Any help/photos would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
How about a bracket to hold them in a verticle row on the drivers side of the rad support, with a fuse or circuit breaker next to each relay and a single power feed for the whole mess. I'm assuming you've done away with the stock regulator, maybe use a matching relay for the horn and include it in the same panel.

you could make the bracket out of heavy guage alluminum, weld a plate over the top to cover it and run all the wires out the bottom.

Another option would be the firewall over the heater box, but I wouldn't put it there.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
my goodness, you did pack them in there, didn't you, Bruno? Looks good, very clean, better than I imagined it would look in that location. Could pass for an ignition box at first glance!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Also if you do not have hideaway headlight you could put them where the relay for the headlights goes, under the front of the driver fender. Good luck Jerry

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
JimM said:
my goodness, you did pack them in there, didn't you, Bruno? Looks good, very clean, better than I imagined it would look in that location. Could pass for an ignition box at first glance!
Yup, the box came with a metal bottom plate and to remove the relays, one simply needs to unscrew a small allen head screw which holds the upper relay tab. I always keep a couple of fuses, an 1/8" allen wrench and a spare bosch relay in the glove box. Just in case. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I wouldn't mount them under the dash. Keep them as close to the load as possible. For example, a fan relay should be close to the fan. ORENCH's setup looks pretty neat. If you've converted to an internally regulated alternator, the old regulator location will hold at least two or three relays.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
When I get closer to assembly on my 68, I've been tinkering with a thought. You know how the new cars have a fuse block under the hood with relays and circuit breakers in them? They also have a big fat battery lead attached to one end. Well I'm thinking of searching the salvage yard for one and wiring the thing up using new terminals. It would be a pretty slick custom / modern way of doing things.

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
I had to check for blown fuse on my daughters 93 altima, fuse box at the knee panel under the steering wheel, seperate box next to the battery under the hood and another box on the opposite inner fender with more fuses. pretty good protection it seems like.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
dnult said:
You know how the new cars have a fuse block under the hood with relays and circuit breakers in them? They also have a big fat battery lead attached to one end. Well I'm thinking of searching the salvage yard for one and wiring the thing up using new terminals.
I like that alternative. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
dnult said:
When I get closer to assembly on my 68, I've been tinkering with a thought. You know how the new cars have a fuse block under the hood with relays and circuit breakers in them? They also have a big fat battery lead attached to one end. Well I'm thinking of searching the salvage yard for one and wiring the thing up using new terminals. It would be a pretty slick custom / modern way of doing things.
That is exactly what I plan on doing. Relays, breakers & big honking fuses. Great for fans, stereos, ignitions, halogens, etc. Parts on auto store shelves. No more power wires to the starter and a nice clean OE look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts